Thanksgiving watch list

Source%3A+flickr

Thanksgiving watch list

Source: flickr

Source: flickr

Source: flickr

Source: flickr

Luke Price

This Thanksgiving break, binge on more than just turkey and apple pie. With finals season just around the corner, kick back over break and enjoy a heartwarming drama or a bone-chilling murder mystery. Here are just a few picks for the hottest shows and movies Netflix has to offer this holiday season.

Mindhunter
Jonathan Groff plays Holden Ford, a booksmart FBI agent in the 1970s with a passion for criminal science. He teams up with veteran agent Bill Tench (Holt McCallany) as they pioneer the field of criminal psychology, interviewing and analyzing America’s most notorious serial killers.

Step inside the mind of director David Fincher as he offers insight into his misanthropic filmography. Mindhunter is not for the faint of heart, as it shines light on some of the human psyche’s ugliest corners. For those who can tolerate Fincher’s gall, it’s a fascinating reflection on the sanity of insanity.

Stranger Things
Odds are that you’ve heard a lot of hype surrounding Stranger Things. If you’re on the fence about it, believe me—the hype is warranted. The motley crew from Hawkins from the first season returns this fall for season two, offering plenty of holiday binging for newcomers and fans yet to see the second season alike.

Set in smalltown Indiana in the 1980s, Stranger Things follows a group of middle-school misfits on their quest to defend their unsuspecting town from supernatural forces. Matt and Ross Duffer write, direct and produce this lively sci-fi adventure series that has the nostalgic flair of an arcade parlor blaring Bruce Springsteen. Throw on your high-waisted jeans and Chuck Taylors this week and get groovy with Stranger Things.

Burn After Reading
International espionage has never looked so… pathetic. Osborne Cox (John Malkovich) is a temperamental CIA underling who must battle marital infidelity (George Clooney, Tilda Swinton) and braindead gym workers (Brad Pitt, Frances McDormand) to win back his priceless (worthless?) memoirs. For those feeling victimized by fall semester, enjoy the Coen Brothers’ tragedy of losers for solace that you’re not alone.

42
Witness the incredible true story of Jackie Robinson, the MLB’s first African-American player. Chadwick Boseman plays the fearless slugger, touting the swagger and grit also apparent in 2017’s Marshall and 2018’s Black Panther. American freedom never seemed more vibrant than it did in the years following WWII. War raged on within our borders, however, as African-Americans continued to fight for equal rights and representation. Professional baseball was as fierce a battleground as any, and Jackie Robinson was as fierce a soldier as any in the battle against segregation.

Spotlight
Academy Award winner for 2015’s Best Picture, Spotlight chronicles the Boston Globe’s investigation into a massive church scandal, ranging across parishes and over decades. When repeated attempts to investigate cases of sexual abuse by Catholic priests are hampered on all sides, the Spotlight team must dig deeper to uncover an irrefutable network of crimes and cover-ups. Mark Ruffalo, Rachel McAdams and Michael Keaton star in this chilling account of conspiracy and investigative journalism that deepens and darkens at every turn.

The Prestige
Before he brought you blockbusters such as Dunkirk, Interstellar and his Batman trilogy, Christopher Nolan was steadily making a name for himself with movies such as The Prestige. Starring Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman and Michael Caine, The Prestige details the rise and fall of two rival magicians as they risk life and limb for social and professional influence.

This movie is as cagey and spell-binding as its magic tricks, leading you through the three-step progression of any good trick—the Pledge, the Turn and the Prestige. The Prestige is the hardest part, requiring speed and cunning to achieve the perfect trick. So the question is, are you watching closely?