GUEST EDITORIAL: Vanderbilt must end legacy admissions as a moral imperative

The founder of a New York City-based college preparatory program for underserved students urges Vanderbilt to do away with policies that preferentially admit children of alumni.
Graphic depicting two students opening their college admissions decisions on laptops, one accepted with legacy preference and one rejected without. (Hustler Multimedia/Lexie Perez)
Lexie Perez

As colleges wrestle with fairness, equity and social mobility, Vanderbilt’s legacy admissions policy remains a relic. Favoring children of alumni undermines the meritocracy Vanderbilt claims to uphold. As one of the nation’s most well-known and highly respected colleges, Vanderbilt should end this unfair admissions practice while promoting equitable ones. Ending legacy admissions at Vanderbilt isn’t just necessary — it’s a moral imperative.

Vanderbilt’s legacy admissions policy is rooted in inequality. It began in the early 20th century, favoring wealthy white families and excluding groups like immigrants, Jews and people of color. Despite efforts to make Vanderbilt more accessible, the policy continues to reinforce inequities by granting unfair advantages to children of alumni.

Legacy admissions at Vanderbilt privilege the few. Legacy applicants are accepted at much higher rates than non-legacies, for whom less than 4% are admitted during the regular admissions process. In addition, many legacies admitted likely wouldn’t be accepted without their family ties, creating an uneven playing field by making it harder for less privileged yet more qualified students to earn admission.

A pillar of Vanderbilt’s Dare to Grow campaign is attracting “the most talented and ambitious students” from across the globe. However, its legacy admissions policy contradicts this by favoring birthright over excellence.

Proponents argue that legacy admissions strengthen alumni ties and boost donations. Yet, with its healthy endowment, Vanderbilt need not rely on legacy admissions for its financial stability. Institutions like MIT, Caltech and Johns Hopkins have eliminated legacy admissions without suffering financially. Moreover, linking admissions to donations equates admission by wealth, not merit.

Vanderbilt’s legacy admissions policy also undermines diversity. Although Vanderbilt aims to increase racial and socioeconomic diversity, legacy admissions primarily benefits white and affluent students, reflecting historical alumni demographics. This perpetuates a cycle of privilege, countering Vanderbilt’s mission of broadening access for all.

Ending legacy admissions would create more opportunities for students from underrepresented backgrounds while exemplifying Vanderbilt’s values of intellectual curiosity, leadership and transformative education. A fair process would prioritize these traits over family connections, fostering a more diverse student body.

Public confidence in elite universities like Vanderbilt is diminishing. Scandals like the 2019 bribery case and 2022 antitrust lawsuit fuel the perception that elite colleges, like Vanderbilt, serve the wealthy. Though legal, Vanderbilt’s legacy admissions policy perpetuates this narrative by implying that family ties, not merit, is the path to Vanderbilt.

By eliminating legacy admissions, Vanderbilt would rebuild public trust. It would demonstrate a commitment to fairness, transparency and merit-based admissions. Vanderbilt, as one of the nation’s most prestigious colleges, could help lead the way toward reform.

In today’s world, fairness is essential. Vanderbilt’s legacy admissions policy is outdated, and the university must choose whether to perpetuate privilege or embrace a just, equitable future. Ending this practice would reaffirm Vanderbilt’s commitment to allowing talented students to gain admission, irrespective of family ties. 

Finally, Vanderbilt prides itself on leadership. Now is the time to lead by ending this unjust system. Terminating legacy admissions at Vanderbilt — and elsewhere — is a powerful and positive step toward a more inclusive, accessible future.

Editor’s Note: A university representative said that Vanderbilt uses a “holistic approach” when reviewing applicants, which includes but is not limited to alumni affiliation.

“An alumni affiliation is merely one data point out of many data points considered during the application review process,” their statement reads. “Vanderbilt does not hold spots for students who have an alumni affiliation. Legacy applicants are held to the same standards of admission and are part of the same process as all other applicants.”

John Hoffman, Guest Writer
John B. Hoffman is the Founder of Oliver Scholars, an educational, not-for-profit college access program in New York City, NY, that has placed over 1,500 Black and Latino students from low-income backgrounds into leading private schools and colleges, including some at Vanderbilt.
Lexie Perez
Lexie Perez, Graphics Editor
Lexie Perez (‘26) is from Northern Virginia and is majoring in climate studies and human and organizational development and minoring in business in the College of Arts and Science. She enjoys listening to 70s and 80s pop music, doing the daily Wordle and rooting for the Nashville Predators and Cincinnati Bengals. She can be reached at [email protected].