Vanderbilt appoints Aubrey B. Harwell, Jr. to review university response to Kirkland Hall sit-in

Harwell, Jr. serves as a partner at Neal & Harwell PLC, and his website lists his services as including commercial litigation, white-collar criminal defense and crisis management.
Josh Rehders
Eli Motycka, a reporter for the Nashville Scene, being arrested by VUPD near Kirkland Hall while covering student protests, as photographed on March 26, 2024. (Hustler Multimedia/Josh Rehders)

Vanderbilt selected alumnus Aubrey. B Harwell, Jr. (BA ‘64, JD ‘67), to review the university’s response to the Kirkland Hall sit-ins, including the arrest of Nashville Scene reporter Eli Motycka and the university’s media access policies. The university declined to  comment on whether the review would include the suspensions of all and arrests of some student protestors.

Harwell, Jr., is a founding member of Nashville-based Neal & Harwell PLC. A statement released by the university about selecting Harwell, Jr. described him and his firm as having “extensive expertise and experience in First Amendment law.” His firm’s website describes his practice as focusing on major commercial litigation, white-collar criminal defense and crisis management, with no mention of First Amendment law. He has represented Ford Motor Company in Grimshaw v. Ford Motor Company regarding the Ford Pinto automobile, Bridgestone Americas in Bridgestone Americas v. IBM and numerous public officials. The university declined to comment regarding Harwell, Jr.’s experience in First Amendment law. 

Harwell, Jr. is joined by two fellow Vanderbilt alumni in the review of the university’s response to the sit-ins: his son, Aubrey “Trey” Harwell III (BA ‘92, JD ‘95) and Chief Administrator of Neal & Harwell, Ronald Harris (JD ‘77). 

Harwell III shares similar focuses as Harwell, Jr. in the areas of civil litigation, white-collar criminal defense and crisis management. He currently serves on the Board of Advisors and as an adjunct professor at Vanderbilt Law School. Harwell III’s profile on his firm’s website also includes no mention of experience with First Amendment law. Harwell III has previously represented Spotify USA, Nashville Electric Service and Bridgestone Americas with his father.

Harris mainly practices in civil litigation, focusing on commercial and business disputes. According to his firm’s website, Harris is a “zealous advocate for First Amendment Freedoms” and has been recognized by Best Lawyers for his work in First Amendment Law. Harris has represented Scripps Media in a public records dispute; Mike Curb and Curb Records in a copyright case; and NewsChannel 5 Network in a fair report privilege case.

The university declined to comment regarding the expected fairness of the review of the sit-in response given the attorneys’ current involvement and employment with Vanderbilt. 

The university stated that the findings of the firm’s review, reportedly expected to be completed in late spring, will be made public.

Josh Rehders
Josh Rehders, Photography Director
Josh Rehders ('24) is from Houston and is studying computer science in the School of Engineering. When he is not shooting for The Hustler, Vanderbilt Athletics or freelancing, he enjoys finding new music and good food. He can be reached at [email protected].