BREAKING: Vanderbilt wide receiver Will Sheppard enters transfer portal

After four successful seasons on West End, the talented wide receiver is the latest Commodore to enter the transfer portal.
Will Sheppard pregame ahead of Vanderbilt’s contest vs. Hawaii on Aug. 27, 2022 (Vanderbilt Athletics).

Vanderbilt wide receiver Will Sheppard has entered the transfer portal, according to an announcement he made on X. After four strong seasons, Sheppard is the latest Commodore to transfer in an offseason that has quickly turned frightening for Vanderbilt. 

A former three-star recruit, Sheppard will end his Vanderbilt career as the Commodores’ seventh-leading receiver of all time with 2,067 career receiving yards. After a productive first two seasons, Sheppard broke out in his junior year, tallying 776 yards and nine touchdowns en route to second team All-SEC honors. Following a strong senior season (684 yards, 8 TDs), Sheppard will head for greener pastures in his last year of eligibility.

For the Commodores, Sheppard’s transfer adds to the long list of outgoing players after a disastrous 2-10 season. Along with multiple wide receivers, Vanderbilt has lost all of its quarterbacks who took a snap last season, with the departures of Ken Seals, AJ Swann and Walter Taylor already having been announced. Vanderbilt’s passing game represented one of the team’s few strengths last season, but the Commodores will have to rebuild much of that unit through the offseason.