Height of Sinclair reduced to approximately match Zeppos Tower

A representative of Vanderbilt University Real Estate said the university had no role in the height reduction.
Amelia Simpson
The construction site of the Sinclair, as photographed on Oct. 29, 2023 (Hustler Multimedia/Amelia Simpson)

The expected height of The Sinclair has been reduced to approximately match the height of Zeppos College’s West End Tower, according to the final site plans submitted to the Metro Nashville Council. Previously, the 27-story entertainment and residential complex was expected to eclipse Zeppos Tower by 75 feet. 

Measuring from the lowest point on street level, the site plans list the building as 306 feet tall. Zeppos Tower stands at 305 feet. Despite the height reduction, The Sinclair will still consist of 27 stories, with no 13th floor. 

Lisa Fiorentino, assistant director of Vanderbilt University Real Estate, told The Hustler that the university had no role in the decision to reduce The Sinclair’s height. She directed The Hustler to the Metro Nashville Council and site developer.

“Vanderbilt has not engaged with The Sinclair or any other groups regarding the height of the building,” Fiorentino said in an email.

Eric Spencer (B.S. ‘04), vice president of investments and strategic planning at GBT Realty — the site developer, declined to comment on the reason behind the height reduction. In an interview with The Hustler in February, Spencer confirmed that GBT Realty had been in communication with Vanderbilt regarding the development. 

“Vanderbilt has been a great partner when it comes to doing this site. We jumped in with them right from the beginning as soon as we acquired it to talk about what they would like to see,” Spencer said in February. “There’s going to be a lot of synergy between the university and The Sinclair.”

Junior Christopher Lofts, a Zeppos resident, said he was “indifferent” about the change but expressed concern over potential noise disturbances. Groundwork at the site began earlier this year.

“The current concrete slab [at the] construction site is ugly,…[and] I’m not looking forward to the construction noises,” Lofts said.