IN PHOTOS: NPHC hosts first-ever Set Friday

The Vanderbilt National Pan-Hellenic Council hosted a fundraiser full of entertainment and food.
George Albu
A volunteer waits for guests to check into Set Friday, as captured on Oct. 13, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/George Albu)

CORRECTION: This article previously incorrectly stated that the event was co-hosted by Vandy Hacks. It was corrected on Oct. 23, 2023, at 7:15 a.m. CDT.

Vanderbilt’s National Pan-Hellenic Council hosted its first-ever “Set Friday” — a fundraiser to gather donations for the Second Harvest Food Bank — on Oct. 13. The event was co-hosted by the Black Student Association, the Multicultural Leadership Council, the Revitalizing and Empowering Vanderbilt’s African Man Population and the Black Student Athlete Group.

As attendees entered through the front entrance of the NPHC house, they were greeted by a pair of hosts who collected either monetary donations or canned goods in exchange for admittance to the events. 

There was an array of snacks provided for the visitors, including bagged chips, Slim & Husky’s Pizza and sugar cookies. Pizza was also given out to students as they patiently waited in line. On the back patio of the house, a table and cooler offered miscellaneous refreshments to be enjoyed by the attendees. 

Volunteers for NPHC prepare to plate the pizzas to be provided to guests, as captured on Oct. 13, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/George Albu)

Another NHPC volunteer operated the DJ booth on the side of the patio, playing the top hits of modern hip-hop ranging from J. Cole to 21 Savage, with many attendees bopping their heads to the beat as small groups of attendees began to dance together. 

A game of pick-up basketball started once guests settled into the event. The guests also sat in lawn chairs outside, laughing and providing warm welcomes to their friends as they came outside. 

An open layout allowed easy access in and out of the house from the back patio. An ultra-violet ambiance lit up the lobby of the house as it became packed with attendants. From jokes passed around friend groups to juking on the basketball court, smiles and laughter were constants the entire night.