Vanderbilt Soccer beats Missouri 1-0 on Senior Night

An 88th minute goal by Ella Eggleston secured a 1-0 win for the Commodores on Senior Night.
Anseley Philippe
Vanderbilt huddling before the game on Oct. 13, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Anseley Philippe)

The Vanderbilt Commodores (8-4-3, 3-4 SEC) defeated Missouri (5-6-3, 1-5-1 SEC) Friday night 1-0 for their fifth straight home win. The Commodores were frustrated for most of the game, but found a late winner thanks to a header by freshman Ella Eggleston.

“At this point in the year, you’ve got to start turning the lessons from earlier in the year into results,” head coach Darren Ambrose said after the game. “And I felt that we did that.”

Before the game, Vanderbilt honored seven seniors: Kate Devine, Amber Nguyen, Ava Hetzel, Sophia Gorski, Tina Bruni, Alex Wagner and Abi Brighton. The honorees were awarded framed photos by Ambrose and athletic director Candice Storey Lee, and were joined on the field by friends and family members.

“The personality of the group is so diverse,” Ambrose said of the senior class. “You’ve got artists, you’ve got hammers, you’ve got leaders, you’ve got communicators, you’ve got all kinds. And having that has helped us come together this year.”

The opening 20 minutes of the game were relatively even, with both teams having stretches of possession. Two big missed chances came in the next few minutes, one for either team. Missouri gained possession on a Vanderbilt turnover that Brianna Buels put over the bar. Just seconds later, a Vanderbilt cross found Bruni, who volleyed it just wide. The Commodores’ play improved in the midfield in the remainder of the first half, leading to a 5-2 shot advantage, but they were unable to convert and went into the intermission goalless.

In the 55th minute, Buels had another chance after she appeared to have a breakaway against Devine. Hannah McLaughlin tracked her down though to stop the danger and force a corner. The Commodores continued in the ensuing phases to keep possession and generate play, but had trouble turning those phases into dangerous chances. That included a long ball by Devine that found its way over everybody, with Maddie Baker nearly gaining control for an opportunity. Baker put in another cross in the 75th minute to give Bruni a free header, but she mishit the ball and put it wide.

The breakthrough finally came in the 88th minute on a corner kick. Brighton put in the delivery, and Eggleston drove a strong header past the goalkeeper to put the Commodores up 1-0. Eggleston didn’t start the game, and scored just four minutes after being substituted in. The Commodores ran out the clock from there to secure the victory.

The Commodores will next travel to Starkville, Miss. for a matchup against Mississippi State where they will look for their first SEC road victory of the season.

“We just need to get back to work,” Eggleston said. “We are far from done. We’re just going to get back to work and try to win.”