‘FIVE ALBUMS. ONE NIGHT’: The Jonas Brothers take fans down memory lane

The Jonas Brothers concert pulled fans through every emotion possible during their performance at Bridgestone Arena on Oct. 9.
Sara West
Kevin and Joe Jonas of the Jonas Brothers look into the crowd while Nick holds his arms out toward them, as photographed on Oct. 9, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Sara West)

Rising from the stage, the Jonas Brothers struck a pose while the crowd cheered for their beloved trio. After playing a few songs to enter into the night, the brothers looked out into the crowd reminiscing over the last time they had performed in Nashville. 

“It is so good to be back,” Nick said. 

Seeing these three brothers standing on the stage, looking around at their fans made me think back to my childhood watching them on TV. One of their biggest hits, “Camp Rock,” came out when I was four years old. This movie was a huge hit across all ages and still holds a large part in my life. As they continued to appear in movies and TV shows such as “Camp Rock 2,” “Hannah Montana” and “Jonas,” I grew to love the trio. Being able to see them live so many years later brought so much joy to my soul. As I told my mom, “eight year old me is screaming right now. ” 

One unique part of this concert was the familiarity of the opener to the main event. The opening act consisted of a pair of siblings on their way to glory in the music industry. Lawrence, the name of the band and the last name of the two lead vocalist siblings, performed a lively set list containing both original songs and covers. The band showcased each of their supporting band members by providing solos and duets to showcase the members and their incredible talents with their instruments. 

As the brothers played big hits from their 2007 “Jonas Brothers” album, they jokingly claimed that it took a profound amount of time to name, just like their most recent album, “The Album.” This album, which was the first of their songs to make top five on the billboard charts carried enormous amounts of power throughout the arena with each song. With lots of up-beat songs, I was surprised to see the brothers walking into the center of the crowd to a grand piano where they would play multiple acoustic songs. While leading into the first of the acoustic song, a hush fell over the crowd, almost as if being hypnotized by the sounds of Nick tickling the ivories and Kevin strumming his guitar. The fans immediately knew to pull out their phones, like it was a primal instinct that they had no control over. 

“At the time we wrote this album, we had just been dropped by our first record label,” said Joe. 

They mentioned that when this happened, they decided to go back to their basement in Little Falls, N.J. to write songs that were real to them. These songs were put onto their demo CD and ultimately jump started their careers. Nick, Joe and Kevin thanked the audience for believing in them, because without them they wouldn’t be where they are today. 

“It’s truly been an honor to be part of your lives for so long and it is only just the beginning,” stated Nick. 

As the Jonas Brothers continued their performance, Joe found a special audience member. This was a woman holding a sign that said “Help me tell my husband that I’m pregnant.” Joe asked the woman and her friend if they would Facetime her husband so that he could help deliver the news. The crowd waited in anticipation as the sound of the phone rang. After a dreadfully long time, the husband finally picked up the phone and Joe introduced himself. Due to connection errors, Joe hung up the phone and decided to take a video instead to send to the husband. This was such a special moment to watch, showing how much the Jonas Brothers care about their fans. 

From fire cannons to an intermission in the middle of the set, there was never a dull moment. Nick and Joe each performed one of their hit songs produced during their solo careers. For Nick, “Jealous” is one of his songs that has become famous on both streaming services as well as the beloved short video apps. Joe performed “Cake by the Ocean” and shot confetti out over the crowd multiple times. This was a fun way to surprise the crowd and give the crowd something to remember the night by, letting fans grab the confetti as it fell.

As the night came to an end, Joe decided to enact a kiss-cam using one of his crew;s live streaming cameras that was connected to the overhead screens. After showing multiple couples, Joe turned to a couple a few feet away from him, and the man got down on one knee and proposed to his partner. 

After almost 20 years on their journey in the music industry, the brothers have written many songs and performed many concerts. The audience at Monday night’s show got a special treat when Kevin Jonas Sr., father of the Jonas Brothers, came on stage to perform “Desperado” with his sons. With over 60 songs performed by the Jonas Brothers, this concert was definitely one for the books.