A senior’s guide to off-campus study destinations

Time to ditch Central — these seven off-campus study spots will appeal to all students.
Alessandra Salvini
Seating at Poindexter, as captured Sept. 19, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Alessandra Salvini)

CORRECTED: This piece was corrected on Sept. 25, 2023, at 6:56 p.m. CDT to remove Three Brothers Coffee, which is currently closed.

School’s back in session! We all know what that means — Central is overrun, Rand is too loud, the 21st Avenue Starbucks line is out the door and the Class of 2027 has taken over the Commons Center. Luckily, as an off-campus senior, I’m here to provide you with solace in the form of off-campus study destinations. Without further ado, here are my favorites. 

Funny Library at the Virgin Hotel, Music Row

The Virgin boasts an adorable lobby with lots of seating and an adorable coffee shop. A short walk from the Morris, Kenect, the Artisan, Skyhouse and other off-campus housing, this spot is a great option on Music Row. Sure, the coffee is overpriced, but the cafe/lounge/working vibes are purely priceless. The lounge features many pieces by Jonathan Adler and books that focus on various genres of music. Head to Funny Library for incredible background music and mood lighting. 

Barista Parlor, The Gulch

Despite the easily accessible Barista Parlor location in Hillsboro, I’ve always been partial to the Gulch location located in the luxurious W Hotel. About a mile from Commons, this coffee shop focuses on “ethical sourcing and sweetness in roasting.” I’m a sucker for their mission as they try to include both art and commerce while they support local artisan- sourced products. Try their pour-overs (especially the Santa Quiteria) – they have to be among the top five in Nashville. 

E+Rose, Wedgewood-Houston

Many Commodores know E+Rose as an extravagant acai bowl destination and little else. While I’m sure I could subsist on these bowls alone, the Wedgewood-Houston location of this Nashville gem is also a fantastic place to study. Located just South of downtown, the restaurant is so spacious, and the workers care a lot about their service and execution. 

Urban Juicer, Hillsboro

And now for a classic… Urban Juicer is on the Commodore Card (!!!) and is centrally located in Hillsboro Village. While it has limited seating, you can usually find an open spot or two. It’s a welcoming environment. Often, though, Juicer has loud background music, so if you prefer silent studies, it might not be for you. However, since it was voted best juice bar in Nashville Scene’s “Best of Nashville,” the Urban Juicer boasts not only just vibes but also incredible food.

Poindexter Coffee at the Graduate Hotel, West End

Are you really a Nashville native if you haven’t been to the Graduate? I’ll answer that for you — no. About a three-minute walk from Kissam on West End, this Dolly-Parton-themed hotel boasts the cutest lobby with a coffee shop and vast seating options. It’s a stimulus overload due to the vast decorations, so it might not be the best spot to hunker down for your first Gen Chem exam, but it’s the most cheerful study spot ever and might lift your Sunday scaries. It’s a Commodore rite of passage. 

Bad Ass Coffee of Hawaii, Hillsboro

For an honorable “up-and-coming” mention, I’d like to extend a warm welcome to Hillsboro’s newest resident: Bad Ass Coffee. Born on Big Island, Hawaii, in 1989, they’ve made their way over to our neck of the woods and brought their coffee with them. If you don’t mind the cheerful “Aloha!” every time someone enters, this might be the new spot for you. The service is incredible, as they try to promote the same warm hospitality they bring from Hawaii. 

No matter which one of these spots you choose, enjoy spending some time off-campus with other Nashville citizens! In my last year at Vanderbilt, I hope to continue finding study destinations and broadening my horizons. Comment your favorites below.

Caroline Lingle
Caroline Lingle, Staff Writer
Caroline Lingle ('24) is majoring in political science and communication studies and minoring in business in the College of Arts and Science. She enjoys exercising and hanging out with one of her four dogs. She can be reached at [email protected].
Alessandra Salvini
Alessandra Salvini, Staff Photographer
Alessandra Salvini (‘27) is majoring in political science in the College of Arts and Science. Outside of The Hustler, she loves live music, sports and being outdoors. She can be reached at [email protected].