IN PHOTOS: Yoke Lore illuminated Nashville on an otherwise ‘Beige’ Sunday night

Yoke Lore and Girlhouse blessed the Basement East with a performance on Sept. 3.
Kasey Kautz
The captivating essence of Adrian Galvin at the Basement East, as photographed on Sept. 3, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Kasey Kautz)

For me, music is associated with distinctive moments, and Yoke Lore’s songs remind me of some of the most special moments in my life. One of my favorite memories revolves around the song “Beige,” which my friend played for me on the night she said goodbye before moving away to college. It felt like the kind of song you play at full volume while driving around a small town, summer air rushing in through the rolled-down windows, screaming at the top of your lungs. This is the kind of feeling that brings pure joy to everyone. I was ecstatic to attend his concert, as it meant I could relive that feeling.

Girlhouse was an excellent opening act for Yoke Lore’s performance. Instantly, Lauren Luiz, the lead singer, made a deep connection with the audience. Her stage presence created a welcoming atmosphere and met the audience on a human level —  she was just another person sharing her passion for music. Luiz’s care shone through when she noticed that it was a fan’s birthday and took the time to wish them a happy birthday. 

One of the songs that Girlhouse performed during her six-song set was “pretty girl in la.” Luiz stated that the song was about her experience trying to fit in. This song was an accurate representation of what many people feel when moving to a new area where everything is unknown. 

At the end of her performance, Luiz wished her drummer Logan Morrison a happy birthday, as did the crowd. She offered to sign anything that fans bought from the merch booth and exited the stage to head there. 

While the stage crew set up for the main performance, the crowd grew with anticipation. Luckily, the hyped-up crowd did not have to wait long before Adrian Galvin, the lead singer of Yoke Lore, ran on stage. Waves of cheers and applause bounced from wall to wall. Not only did Yoke Lore come on with great energy, but the beautiful set design matched the high standards he set vocally. There were a variety of lamps placed around the stage that changed color and intensity with the music, ensuring that the ambiance matched the songs. 

Galvin did something during the performance that I had never seen anyone do before. In between some of the songs, he would read to the crowd letting his poeticism shine through. One of these was a very powerful statement, providing fans insight into his soul.

“And music is how I use the personal to conjure the infinite,” Galvin said. 

Toward the end of the show, Galvin asked the crowd if they wanted to sing a song with him. This question brought about an eruption of screams when he announced the song they would sing was “Beige,” one of the band’s biggest hits. The whole crowd sang together forming a community where all that mattered was that moment. 

After “Beige,” Galvin and his band ran off stage but soon returned to perform a song that shocked everyone. This song was one that Galvin stated he didn’t think he would ever release. The song was titled “Tom Robbins,” which was inspired by a book he loves. This was an incredibly special moment for all Yoke Lore fans.

Galvin with his very talented band — Tobias Witt on keys and Garren Orr on drums — created a wonderful experience for a multitude of people. He ended the night with a final powerful statement.  

“Be good to your future. Thank you all so much for coming,” Galvin said.