Plan your week: 4/24-4/30

From smashing piñatas to listening to Lil Wayne to meditating, there’s something for everyone in the Vanderbilt community this week.
Ophelia Lu
Bikes lined up near the Stevenson Complex, as photographed on Oct. 19, 2022. (Hustler Multimedia/Ophelia Lu)

The chaos of finals is finally upon us as the spring semester rushes to an end. Let The Hustler help you make the most of the second-to-last week of Spring 2023 before embarking on your summer adventures!

Educational 

Feed that hungry Vanderbilt brain of yours with these thought-provoking events. 

What: Lunch & Learn with Coach Lea–Game Changers: The Intersection of Sports, Business, and Leadership 

When: April 24, 1:15 p.m. CDT 

Where: Walker Management Library 

Who: TFC Social Venture Club  

Why: Join Clark Lea, Brent Turner, Reggie Ford and Gavin Shoenwald in a discussion on the intersection of athletics and business. Turner — the CEO at Summit BHC — and Ford — the President of RoseCrete Wealth Management — are sure to give interesting perspectives on how their worlds collide with sports. Pizza will be provided. Don’t forget to RSVP here. 

What: Public Lecture: “Indigenous and African Enslavement in Eighteenth-Century Amazonia (c. 1740s-1770s)”

When: April 24, 4 p.m. CDT 

Where: Robert Penn Warren Center for the Humanities 

Who: Alexandre Pelegrino 

Why: Pelegrino is a Ph.D. candidate in Vanderbilt’s Department of History. His presentation on slavery amongst Indigenous and African populations is a great opportunity for anyone interested in history to gain insight into the research of graduate students. 

What: Engineering Your Future: Alumni Panel 

When: April 25, 12 p.m. CDT 

Where: FGH Jacob Believed in Me Hall 

Who: Vanderbilt Mechanical Engineering alumni 

Why: A panel of Vanderbilt Alumni from companies including Nissan, Boeing, Northrop Grumman and American Bridgestone will be speaking on how students can plan for a successful post-graduate future while in college. Free pizza will also be provided! RSVP here

Recreation and Wellness 

Move your mind and body by taking advantage of these wellness events before heading to your finals. 

What: Meditation Monday 

When: April 24, 1:15 p.m. CDT 

Where: Center for Student Wellbeing Meditation Room 

Who: Center for Student Wellbeing 

Why: Join the Center for Student Wellbeing in a meditation session that is sure to get you relaxed and in the right mindset before plunging into finals week. Register here

What: Sophomore SMASH & SCREAM!

When: April 24, 11 p.m. CDT

Where: Library Lawn 

Who: Class of 2025

Why: Bring your friends to Library Lawn to release all of your pent-up stress by smashing piñatas, bubble wrap and so much more! When else will you have an excuse to break things and scream your heart out? The first 100 students to arrive will get free t-shirts, and snacks will also be provided. RSVP here!

Athletics 

As spring sports wind down, make sure your fellow Commodores feel supported during the last stretch of the season. 

What: Vanderbilt Baseball vs. Kentucky 

When: April 29, 2 p.m. CDT 

Where: Hawkins Field 

Who: VandyBoys 

Why: Cheer on our very own VandyBoys as they take on Kentucky to continue their incredible season. 

What: Vanderbilt Women’s Lacrosse vs. Temple 

When: April 29, 12 p.m CDT 

Where: Vanderbilt Lacrosse Complex 

Who: Vanderbilt Women’s Lacrosse

Why: Take an afternoon study break to see our lacrosse team compete in the final game of their season!

Social

Take a break from the finals grind with these fun events on-campus.  

What: Midnight Breakfast 

When: April 24, 11:30 p.m. CDT

Where: E. Bronson Ingram College 

Who: Big Al’s Deli 

Why: Satisfy your late-night munchies and enjoy a delicious meal with friends catered by Big Al’s Deli. Don’t forget to RSVP here

What: Tango Class and Practice 

When: April 24, 7 p.m. CDT 

Where: Rand Dining Hall 

Who: Vanderbilt Tango Club  

Why: The Vanderbilt Tango Club is hosting free Tango lessons for students of all experience levels. Dance away your anxiety in a two-hour study break before the lat- night grind begins. Register for this fun event here

What: Out of Ideas: Senior Show 2023 (Art Exhibition)

When: April 14 – May 12, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. CDT   

Where: E. Bronson Ingram Studio Arts Center 

Who: Vanderbilt University Department of Art 

Why: Head to the Studio Arts Center to see the 2023 Margaret Stonewall Wooldridge Hamblet Thesis Exhibitions showcasing student installations by Portia Jones, Avery Bradley, Ben Damir, Adam Alwan, Teal Caudle and Won Jun Seok. Pop in with friends to enjoy some spectacular art created by our very own seniors. 

Around Nashville

Get out of the “Vanderbubble” and check out these concerts off-campus.  

What: Lil Wayne Concert 

When: April 27, 8 p.m. CDT 

Where: Marathon Music Works 

Who: Lil Wayne 

Why: Listen to Lil Wayne rap his greatest hits on his “Tha Carter Tour.” Don’t miss out on a night with this Grammy-winning icon who will be sure to bring the house down with his contagious energy. 

What: The Steve Miller Band Concert 

When: April 30, 7:30 p.m. CDT 

Where: FirstBank Amphitheater 

Who: The Steve Miller Band 

Why: Enjoy a night with this legendary group of psychedelic rock icons who have been in the music industry for five incredible decades. 

What: Citizen Cope Concert  

When: April 30, 8 p.m. CDT

Where: The Basement East 

Who: Citizen Cope 

Why: Catch this DJ-turned-rock artist deliver his brand of beat-driven sound with hits such as  “Son’s Gonna Rise” from his album, “The Clarence Greenwood Recordings.”

What: Katt Williams Comedy Show 

When: April 28, 8 p.m. CDT 

Where: Nashville Municipal Auditorium

Who: Katt Williams 

Why: Spend your Friday night with stand-up comedian Katt Williams at the Nashville Municipal Auditorium. Known for tackling difficult subject matter like the war on drugs, enjoy these hilarious jokes laced with scathing social commentary.