A guide on navigating Hire-A-Dore

Hire-A-Dore provides on and off-campus employment opportunities for Vanderbilt students.
Lexie Perez
Graphic depicting various jobs available on Hire-A-Dore. (Hustler Multimedia/Lexie Perez)

Looking for a part-time job as a college student can be a daunting task. Hire-A-Dore—a university-backed platform that lists opportunities for work-study as well as on and off-campus jobs—can be a great place to start your search. 

The platform allows you to do a “quick search” by selecting broad categories of off-campus jobs, institutional employment, federal work-study jobs and jobs by department. You can also sort by most or least hours per week. To hone your search even further, there is an “advanced search” option that allows you to filter by keywords, job type, salary, employer and hours. This platform is helpful for students who may have a specific area of interest in mind.

Each job entry on Hire-A-Dore lists work location, hours, salary, a basic description of tasks, required skills and contact information, rendering the process fairly straightforward. Compared to on-campus opportunities, there are significantly more off-campus opportunities listed on the site, as this category includes quite a few options for private tutoring and babysitting in Nashville. Check out my list for a few on and off-campus jobs to help you get a sense of what Hire-A-Dore has to offer. 

Off-campus: The Poki 

The Poki Vanderbilt is a restaurant that serves poke bowls. Available positions include kitchen staff, cashier and food assembler with flexibility for part-time hours. Good communication, a friendly demeanor and cleanliness are desired qualities. Despite being off-campus, The Poki is located on Scarritt Place close to Ben & Jerry’s and the CVS behind the law school and is very walkable from any point on campus. 

Off-campus: The Vanderbilt Bookstore

The Vanderbilt Bookstore on West End Avenue is a steal in terms of off-campus jobs. Located across the street from Zeppos College, you’ll feel like you are still on the Vanderbilt campus. The bookstore is primarily searching for weekend availability, which may be a bonus for students with a hectic and packed schedule during the week. A sales and retail position includes tasks such as customer service, stocking products and answering the phone. Also, who wouldn’t want to work right next to Sun & Fork and Starbucks?

On-campus: The Department of Physics and Astronomy 

The Department of Physics and Astronomy is hiring for a main office/front desk department assistant. While you’ll have to be stationed in the dreary walls of the Stevenson center, the job location will situate you right on main campus. Serving as a receptionist, you will essentially be the first face that visitors encounter when stepping into the department office. Tasks include photocopying, maintaining inventory, receiving deliveries, dispersion of flyers and assisting with the daily operations of the main office. For anyone studying physics or astronomy, this job would give you solid connections with Stevenson professors.    

On-campus: Student Centers

Student Centers is a department that manages various events on campus. With offices in locations such as Rand, Commons and the Student Life Center, the department employs close to 75 students each year. Responsibilities can vary with location and a variety of positions such as Event Services Associate, Production Services Associate, Marketing and Social Media Manager and Event Services/Operations Manager are available. In the broadest terms, a Student Centers associate will mostly be responsible for event management, event set-up and assisting guests or clients. There is also room for advancement within the department. While there might be time to work on homework, keep in mind that the job is not a sedentary one.  

On-campus: English Language Center (ELC)

Looking to expand your cultural knowledge while engaging with fellow students? The ELC General Internship offers an office assistant position as a paid internship. This could be an interesting opportunity as you will have the chance to interact with various instructors and international students engaging in student orientation and language programming. This position may be more involved than the other options above as it entails assisting in developing and implementing the program as well as the use of educational devices and data-management programs. The job could be a great chance for students majoring or minoring in a language to hone their speaking skills. 

On-Campus: Research Assistant for the History of Evolution at Vanderbilt

Interested in the intersection of history and science? The Biological Sciences Department has a research assistant position available that allows you to engage in a wide array of assignments, which include but are not limited to 3D photogrammetry, library archival research, conducting interviews and photography. The position could be a great way to build up a dynamic resume as it presents the chance to create a portfolio of science communication pieces composed of press releases, social media and more. If you find science fascinating but are more of a right-brain person, this is a great opportunity to follow your passion without turning to a more traditional lab position.  

On-Campus: School of Medicine Technology Student Staff

This position is perfect for those of you who have a strong knowledge base in technology and problem-solving. As a member of the VUIT Classroom Technology Support Staff, your tasks will include testing classroom technology, troubleshooting audio-visual issues reported by faculty, training other staff members, installing equipment and more. With an emphasis on independent work, the position is a great opportunity for students who enjoy a degree of autonomy and IT work.   

Even if none of the above peaks your interest, fear not! With a wide range of job types, Hire-A-Dore is a great resource for students looking for a job that fits their interests and needs. From retail to internships, there is something for everyone.