December’s concert cheat sheet

With the holiday season starting up, what’s a better way to get out of the cold than a concert?
Vanessa Schor Guerrero
Graphic depicting records and a neon sign reading “live music.” (Hustler Multimedia/Vanessa Schor Guerrero)

Finals season and the bitter Nashville cold got you down? Get energized at any of these incredible shows coming to Music City this month. 

flipturn, Dec. 1

Selling out shows all over the U.S. on their headlining tour, flipturn is easily one of the best bands in the indie game right now. The band brings the sunshine and warmth of their home state of Florida to every venue. They’ve opened for Rainbow Kitten Surprise, Mt. Joy and Wilderado and joined legendary lineups at Bonnaroo, Shaky Knees and Lollapalooza music festivals. Don’t miss out on seeing this band at The Basement East. 

WNXP Anniversary ft. Wet Leg, Dec. 1 

WNXP 91.1 used to house Vanderbilt’s own WRVU but is now home to “Nashville’s Music Experience,” proudly showcasing indie artists in the area. To celebrate their two-year anniversary, Wet Leg (Rhian Teasdale and Hester Chambers) are taking the stage at the Brooklyn Bowl. Self-described as “sad music for party people, and party music for sad people,” the indie duo will have you in your feels and unable to resist dancing. 

Maren Morris, Dec. 2

Nashville native and singer-songwriter Maren Morris brings her hits to Bridgestone. Her newest album, “Humble Quest: In Rare Form,” continues to show off the pop-country star’s musicality. Her radio hits will keep fans on their feet and singing the whole time—definitely a show to look forward to. 

Nordista Freeze Space Prom, Dec. 2 

Forget awkwardly slow-dancing to some ‘80s throwback in your high school gym. Nordista Freeze is a Nashville-based indie-rock up-and-comer guaranteed to bring a reviving energy to the Brooklyn Bowl (or any prom dance floor). Not your usual prom, this event has audience members dressing in futuristic formal garb making for a one-of-a-kind sci-fi musical experience. Freeze is an incredible performer alone but ups the energy during Space Prom, where he invites local artists to join him on stage while he jumps into the crowd to enjoy the music. 

MAX, Dec. 5

After appearing in the movie “Rags,” MAX is now taking his talents to the stage. Named a “top pop star to watch” by Billboard in 2019, MAX brings his chill vocals and catchy melodies to the Brooklyn Bowl stage. His album, “Colour Vision,” is chock full of incredible solo work and notable features such as SUGA, Hayley Kiyoko and bbno$—definitely a show to keep in mind this month. 

S.C.A.B., Dec. 7

A newcomer to the alt-rock scene, Brooklyn-based S.C.A.B. is touring the band’s self-titled sophomore album. Their songs make you want to simultaneously dance, stargaze and romanticize life. S.C.A.B. has fewer than 6000 monthly listeners on Spotify, but after seeing this indie rock band at the Basement East, you might be campaigning for them to get some more recognition. 

Jelly Roll, Dec. 9 

Nashville’s very own Jelly Roll brings authenticity and passion to the Bridgestone. An artist from humble beginnings in our own backyard, Jelly Roll has reached stardom playing all around America. With hard-hitting lyrics backed by an iconic voice, Jelly Roll is the epitome of gothic country. 

Rainbow Kitten Surprise, Dec. 10

Rainbow Kitten Surprise (RKS) are continuing their spectacular run with sold-out shows all over the U.S. A band that expertly blends deep lyrics and intricate melodies that stick to your soul, genre-breaking RKS continues to raise the bar musically. Deputy Life Editor Sophie Edelman covered their show at the Caverns earlier this year and she can’t stress how incredible that show was. Having joined lineups at Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza, Shaky Knees and High Water, this band is on their way to legendary status, so catch them at Municipal Auditorium while you can. 

Pentatonix, Dec. 11 

A cappella and Christmas music fans hold onto your seats—Grammy award-winning group Pentatonix are making a stop at the Bridgestone Arena. Fresh off the heels of the release of their “Holidays Around the World” album, their “A Christmas Spectacular” tour has been a hit across the country. A feel-good show for all ages, it’s the perfect performance to get you in the holiday spirit. 

The Happy Fits, Dec. 11 

If Christmas music isn’t your thing, head over to the Basement East to see New Jersey trio The Happy Fits. The indie group is touring after the release of their third album “Under the Shade of Green.” An album full of songs dealing with the anxieties of everyday life masked by fun and catchy melodies, this show will make you want to get up and dance. 

Rare Hare, Dec. 13

Imagine a show where neither the musicians nor the audience know who is playing or what songs are being played. Sounds like a trainwreck right? Not with Rare Hare. This is an event for musicians to showcase their skills by performing with bandmates they haven’t met until the night of the show! An improv spectacle honoring hair metal and the skill of Nashville musicians, be prepared to have your mind blown at the Basement East. 

Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Dec. 14

Another holiday season favorite, Trans-Siberian Orchestra blends orchestral music with face-melting guitar solos. For their “The Ghosts of Christmas Eve” tour, the setlist will explore many rock twists on Christmas classics. Be prepared to channel your inner metalhead as you headbang to orchestral masterpieces at Bridgestone Arena.

Bartees Strange, Dec. 19

Self-made artist Bartees Strange has come a long way from his middle school home studio days. A multi-talented musician, Strange is embarking on his second headlining tour and will make a stop at the Basement East. He’s supported artists like Lucy Dacus, Car Seat Headrest and Phoebe Bridgers in past years and is making his mark as an independent artist to keep an eye on. His is a show worth hitting if you’re still in the city over winter break.