Soccer: Vanderbilt dominates ETSU 6-0, improves to 5-0 on the season

The fifth consecutive shutout ties a program record for most consecutive clean sheets, notched in both 2019 and 2005.
Eigen Escario
Vanderbilt cruised to a win over ETSU, 6-0, on Friday night (Eigen Escario)

Vanderbilt soccer continued their scorching hot start, trouncing ETSU on Friday night in a 6-0 effort on West End. The Commodores extended their shutout streak to five games, improving to 5-0 on the 2022 campaign thus far. 

The Commodores utterly dominated ETSU, outshooting the Buccaneers 13-4 and dominating the pace all evening. Vanderbilt maintained possession throughout the contest, especially controlling the ball in the first half when they picked up 4 of their 6 goals. The Commodores created chances all throughout the opening stanza, shooting 9 times on goal in the process. 

Five different Commodores got in on the scoring action as Amber Nyugen (20’, 51’), Alex Kerr (‘22), Rachel Deresky (‘26), Tina Bruni (‘34) and Raegan Kelley (‘59) all found the back of the net. 

Vanderbilt rotated all three goalkeepers on Friday night and were stellar defensively as well. ETSU fired off just four shots all evening and were generally stifled by the Commodore defense. Vanderbilt remains one of just five teams in the nation who have yet to allow a goal on the season thus far. The fifth consecutive shutout ties a program record for most consecutive clean sheets, notched in both 2019 and 2005. 

Next up, the Commodores will play host to local foe Lipscomb at 7 PM on Thursday, September 8.