Nashville’s hot but you’re hotter: Trendy ways to look and stay cool this fall

From midi skirts to platform sandals, this guide will help you pull items from trends to beat the Nashville heat.
Vanessa Schor
Graphic depicting a person deciding which fall fashion trends to wear. (Hustler Multimedia/Vanessa Schor)

Nashville’s heat has no mercy when it comes to fashion. It’s a constant struggle to find something stylish that will also keep us from sweating buckets on the way to class. As a fashion lover myself, I’ve compiled some of my favorite trends that are stylish and easy ways to look good while staying cool.  

Midi skirts

The midi skirt is a great way to elevate the most basic of outfits. Its length creates an aura of maturity while their adaptability makes them incredibly easy to style. You can pair them with a white tank top, an oversized t-shirt or most crop tops. Style it up with a pair of heels or boots, or sport a casual-chic look with your favorite pair of sneakers. 

These skirts are perfect for hot weather, falling just short of the knees, but can still be a great option as the temperatures drop. The satin styles are dominating the market right now, and you can’t go wrong with a fun pattern. Some of my favorites can be found at ASOS and Lulus.

Baby tees

In the wake of 90s trends making their return to fashion, baby tees have become a go-to of our favorite fashion icons. Olivia Rodrigo, Hailey Beiber and Dua Lipa have been caught sporting baby tees in their everyday wardrobes. You can style them with athletic shorts to pull together an athleisure vibe or throw on some comfortable jean shorts with them. 

I love baby tees because you can include them in your capsule wardrobe (a collection of interchangeable basics) or find them with fun designs and iconic sayings (see Britney Spears’s “dump him” baby tee). My favorite basic baby tees are from Cotton On, while some higher-end options can be found at Reformation

Flats

I use the term flats to broadly describe a couple of footwear options that have been trending. The Steve Madden Platform Sandals were a fan favorite at the beginning of summer, and I think they should make their return this fall. They are an easy and comfortable shoe to alternate with your favorite sneaker. They are breathable, stretchy and come in a variety of colors. A cheaper alternative can be found on Amazon

The next flat to consider is a loafer. These scream professionalism but require no professional experience. You can wear them with anything, and they look good when paired with cute socks and your favorite sundress. You’ll look like you walked out of a magazine spread, and who doesn’t want that? 

P.S. Be on the lookout for ballet flats’ return…. You saw it here first. 

Linen anything

Linen is your new best friend. The lightweight and airy material is a must have to anyone who lives in constant heat like us Vanderbilt students. The best part? It can be used for everything: shorts, dresses, button ups, pants—just to name a few. If you can’t wait for it to get cold enough to wear pants, linen pants might just survive a hot fall day in Nashville. You can find linen beachy boho pants from GAP and linen, wide-leg trousers from ASOS

Business casual

This trend might be my favorite one to enter mainstream fashion in recent months. Trousers that you used to only imagine in an office are now being sold in all our favorite, everyday stores. I have spent many weeks eyeing the Wilfred Pants at Aritzia and the Princess Polly Archer Pants (the much cheaper option). 

Vogue recently published an article that named the suit vest as a necessary item to have this fall. Their sleeveless style and loose fit makes the heat fade into an afterthought. All of the pieces that fall into “business casual” can elevate any item you pair with them. A casual suit vest, jeans and sneakers may be your next lunch outfit. 

To stay cool, Princess Polly also has business casual shorts. They can be styled with a white tee and loafers for class. If your classroom is known to be freezing, pack an oversized blazer to pair with jean shorts and that white tank top you love. The possibilities are endless. 

If you are like me and swear this is the year you’ll dress up for class, these trends are all great options to start or continue on that journey.Fashion is fun because it is unique to each of us and an incredible way to express ourselves. The most important trend to follow, as always, is to feel good in what you’re wearing.