2022 Olympic opening ceremony outfits: A definitive review

From USA to Lithuania, the parade of nations at the 2022 Olympics featured a wide variety of fashion choices.
Amelia Simpson
When it comes to Winter Olympic fashion, some teams take the gold, while others do not make the podium. (Hustler Multimedia/Amelia Simpson)

The 2022 Winter Olympics started on Feb. 4 and will continue through Feb. 20 in Beijing, China. Ninety-one countries marched in the parade of nations on the first day, with Team Greece leading the way and Team China bringing in the rear. 

My personal favorite part of the Olympics is seeing (and critiquing) the outfits worn by countries throughout the games. This year’s parade of nations did not disappoint. Here are the biggest hits and misses from the opening ceremony.

1: Canada

One word: Lululemon. Need I say more? The Canadian team sported red puffer coats with matching puffer scarves. I did not know puffer scarves existed until now, and let’s just say that I need one. Team Canada takes the top spot because you can wear their outfits even when the games are over. Cropped hoodies and leggings timelessly stay in style for years, and the classic red color is stunning. Team Canada ditched Hudson Bay for Vancouver-based Lululemon in a contract spanning to the 2028 Olympics in Los Angeles. As there are only two colors in the Canadian flag, red and white, there is limited styling when it comes to colors. But the team at Lululemon did not let that stop them. For the opening ceremony, the team was dressed in several shades of red, while the closing ceremony will see an all cream and white outfit. I have never been to Canada, but I would gladly wear those Team Canada mittens (for a small price of $68).

2: Great Britain

Designed by Ben Sherman, Team Great Britain rocked a blue peacoat, a Union Jack sweater and a blue and red beanie. Not to mention they ditched the traditional snow boots or sneaker look in favor of a trendy Chelsea boot. These outfits offer hints of country tradition and culture without being too flashy. Similar to Team Canada, I can picture the athletes wearing that sweater even when the games are over. 

3: Lithuania 

Team Lithuania knocked it out of the park with their navy blue snowsuits. Their athletes used their face masks as a key accessory and were printed with the Lithuanian flag—a perfect way to show national pride. Paired with their navy blue fits was a mustard yellow hat. I am a big fan of the navy and mustard color combo, and Team Lithuania utilized it perfectly. 

4: Jamaica

Team Jamaica danced their way through the parade of nations with a two-toned green ensemble. Their look included a long green puffer coat and neon green pants. Along with that, black mittens, a hat and sneakers accessorized the outfit. While I would normally dock points for a lack of creativity and personalized touches, green is pretty trendy lately and I am a fan of the two-tone aspect. 

5: France

Similar to Team Italy, Team France sported poncho-esque coats modeled after their national flag. While I do like the French outfits slightly better than the Italian ones, they are too similar to each other. Even though Great Britain had a printed flag on their sweaters, I am not a fan of France’s take on the flag theme. These athletes are representing the fashion empire of France and I was expecting more. My advice: stick with the colors in the flag, rather than attempting to wear the full thing. 

6: The Netherlands 

Simply, I hate the color orange. So naturally, Team Netherland’s bold bright orange puffer coat with navy blue pants didn’t sit well with me. While the Netherland’s national flag is red, white and blue, the national color for the country is actually orange. Orange refers to the Dutch royal family, the House of Orange-Nassau. Orange remained in the flag until 1937 when it was replaced by the current colors due to visibility at sea. I digress. Team Canada had many layers to the outfit allowing for athletes to add their own unique touches. Regardless, I am not a fan of the color orange and Team Netherlands lacked creativity and could not win me over. 

7: Italy

Team Italy walked in the opening ceremony parade with poncho coats designed by Giorgio Armani, obviously. The ponchos were designed to honor the red, green and white as seen in the Italian flag. They paired the ponchos with royal blue athletic pants and tennis shoes. For a team wearing a luxury brand like Armani, I was expecting much more than the blue pants and ponchos. 

8: Haiti

With strong NASCAR racer vibes, Team Haiti’s lone athlete, Richardson Viano, sported a busy winter coat with equally busy thick pants and a baseball cap. The pants portray a dragon and a bold print of “Haiti” while the coat has several scenes, including a mountain range, beach and a map of Haiti. I am all for displaying national pride through the parade outfits, but it seems like Haiti had a hard time picking a central theme which made their outfit less cohesive than others. One bonus point added because this is the first time Haiti will compete in the winter Olympics. 

Honorable mention: American Samoa

American Samoa’s lone athlete, Nathan Crumpton, made headlines for his lack of an outfit. Rather than the typical Olympics snowsuit, the skeleton athlete opted for a traditional Samoan outfit. Highlights from the ensemble include a tapa cloth made from mulberry bark, a fuiono headpiece adorned with shells and a feathered kiki fulumoa around his waist. The honorable mention comes in because the parade of nations happened on a 20 degree night in Beijing. He claimed that the only thing that was cold were his hands. I am simply amazed, as I start complaining once temps in Nashville go below 40. 

Honorable mention: United States of America

To be honest, I only included the United States because I feel like I have to. Team USA marched in the opening ceremony parade wearing red, white and blue puffer coats and bulky boots of the same colors. Polo Ralph Lauren has styled Team USA since 2008. Since then, the team has donned a variety of classic, patriotic outfits. However, this year the outfits seemed too clunky and almost space exploration-esque. In addition, Team USA’s official loungewear is Skims, which is owned by Kim Kardashian. Through various TikToks of athletes showing off their hauls, I have seen cozy fuzzy robes and leggings with the iconic Team USA logo. To put it simply, I am jealous.