VSG election voting rescheduled to today at 5 p.m. through Wednesday 9 p.m.

Hours following the withdrawal of the Gould/Mittal ticket, Elections Commission confirms voting will be expedited to today.
Rachael Perrotta
Image of campaign signs outside of Rand Dining Center. Photo taken on March 22, 2021. (Hustler Staff/Rachael Perrotta)

UPDATE: This article was updated at 5:50 p.m. CDT to include a link to vote on AnchorLink and with an update regarding graduating seniors’ voting ability

Following this morning’s withdrawal of the Gould/Mittal ticket, voting for the VSG presidential election will open today at 5 p.m. CDT and close Wednesday, March 24 at 9 p.m. CDT. Students will vote through AnchorLink, as they did last year

Students will have the option to vote for the Hannah Bruns and Kayla Prowell ticket or write in their own candidate, per an email from Deputy Elections Commissioner Jordyn Perry. She stated in a message to The Hustler that Bruns and Prowell will not be declared the winner by default and must receive a voter’s majority, defined as fifty percent plus one of the votes. 

“To us, it seemed frivolous to force Hannah and Kayla to continue campaigning for another week with no other official campaign on the ticket,” Perry said. 

Students received an email at approximately 5:30 p.m. CDT alerting them voting was open and providing a link to the ballot. The email specified that graduating seniors are eligible to vote. 

Voting had been previously rescheduled to be on Monday, March 29 following a weeklong campaign period. Perry also stated that VSG is working to improve their transparency for future elections. 

“We’ve just never experienced this level of interest before, so our processes for publicizing our decisions just were not adequate to meet the public’s demands,” Perry said.