The sun rises over downtown Nashville Feb. 13. (Hustler Multimedia/Hallie Williams)
Hallie Williams

IN PHOTOS: Music City Challenge, cold weather ensues

Track and Field hosts Music City Challenge, Women’s Tennis beats Louisville and Nashville faces below-freezing temperatures.

Winter Weather Warnings

Nashville experienced some cold weather, with temperatures dipping below freezing throughout the week.

Dean of Students Mark Bandas sent students an email on Feb. 10, warning of the dangers of hypothermia and recommending that students who wish to gather outside do so in the WiFi equipped white tents on campus.

Vanderbilt is preparing for another cold spell this week, and Nashville is under a winter storm warning until Tuesday, Feb. 16. at 6 a.m. CST.

Athletics

On Tuesday, Men’s Basketball played Auburn at home and walked away with a 73-67 defeat. However, on Saturday, the 13th the Commodores fought hard and came away with a 72-51 point victory over Mississippi State at Starkville.

Scotty Pippen Jr. passes the ball to a teammate during Vanderbilt’s match against Auburn on Tuesday. (Hustler Multimedia/Hunter Long). (Hunter Long)

Track and Field had a successful weekend at the Music City Challenge over the weekend hosted at the Vanderbilt Multipurpose Facility with a new school record set by Sophomore Madison Fuller on the 60-meter dash. Fuller also won the 200 meters with the second-fastest time in Vanderbilt history.  Junior Taiya Shelby finished the 400 meters with another second-fastest time in school history.

Women’s Tennis defeated Louisville on Friday. After losing the highly-coveted doubles point early on, Vanderbilt came back to win five of the six singles matches and secure its undefeated status.

Marcella Crews hits a backhand Friday against Louisville Feb. 12, 2021 (Hustler Multimedia/Truman McDaniel). (Truman McDaniel)