Men’s Tennis: Vanderbilt is unable to come away with a season finale win at LSU

Vanderbilt Men’s Tennis concludes the regular season losing four in a row.
Anseley Philippe
Siim Troost prepares to serve against Arkansas on Mar. 2, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Anseley Philippe)

The Vanderbilt Men’s Tennis team traveled to Baton Rouge, Louisiana for its final regular season matchup of the season vs. No. 46 LSU on April 16. The Commodores were unable to secure the win and eventually fell to the Tigers, 4-1.

LSU gained an early advantage with two doubles wins on Courts 1 and 2. On Court 1, the No. 90 ranked pair of Ronald Hohmann and Nick Watson for LSU defeated the No. 13 ranked Commodore duo of Siim Troost and Jeremie Casabon by a score of 6-0. On Court 2, the LSU pair of Stefan Latinovic and Welsh Hotard defeated Vanderbilt’s Nathan Cox and Michael Ross, 6-3. On the singles side of play, the Tigers won straight sets on Courts 1 and 4, giving them a 3-0 lead over the Commodores. Senior Joubert Klopper picked up one point for the Commodores after a straight set victory on Court 2. Klopper’s performance ultimately made no difference, as the Tigers went on to secure the match after winning the contest between LSU’s George Stoupe and Macsen Sisam. 

The results for the day are as follows:

Singles:

1. No. 80 Ronald Hohmann (LSU) def. Nathan Cox (Vanderbilt) 6-4 and 6-2
  2. Jouber Klopper (Vanderbilt) def. Stefan Latinovie (LSU) 6-4, 6-2
  3. No. 109 Chen Dong (LSU) vs. Michael Ross 6-7 (3-7), 3-0 (unfinished)
  4. Welsh Hotard (LSU) def. Siim Troost 6-2, 6-4
  5. George Stoupe (LSU) def. Jeremie Casabon 6-3, 6-3
  6. Julier Penzzlin (LSU) vs. Macsen Sisam 6-7, (6-8), 4-1, (unfinished)

Doubles:

1. No. 90 Ronald Hohmann and Nick Watson (Vanderbilt) def. No.13 Siim Troost and Jeremie Casabon 6-0
  2. Stefan Latinovic and Welsh Hotard (LSU) def. Nathan Cox and Michael Ross 6-3
  3. Dong/Stoupe (LSU) vs. Klopper/Sisam 2-3 (unfinished) 

Up Next: The Men’s Tennis team will look to break its losing streak of four matches when it travels to Auburn this coming weekend where they will participate in the SEC Men’s Tennis Tournament.