BREAKING: Vanderbilt student tests positive for coronavirus at student health center

The engineering student traveled to Colombia and San Diego over spring break, before returning to his off-campus home in Nashville

A Vanderbilt senior has tested positive for coronavirus after spending roughly a week in Nashville. He learned of his positive result Friday, March 13 at around 4 p.m., after the test was administered Thursday, March 12. He has been self-isolating in his off-campus house since the test was administered.

The engineering student attended classes on Monday and first felt a “tingle in his throat” on Wednesday, March 11 but experienced no other symptoms. His fever has still yet to break 100.

“[On Wednesday] I took a Tylenol and went to sleep,” he said. “I woke up the next morning feeling completely fine, but went to student health just in case. I expected a Strep test because I thought that was the only thing I might have, but they told me they were going to test me for coronavirus.”

He was instructed to inform everyone with whom he had been in close contact. Vanderbilt University was notified of the positive test by student health and sent out exposure surveys to individuals at risk.

The patient lives in a house with five other Vanderbilt students, all of whom have been self-isolating since the test results came back positive. They were required to fill out the aforementioned self-monitoring form and to contact student health if any symptoms arose.

Over spring break, the patient flew from Atlanta to San Diego to visit a friend. Then, he flew San Diego to Bogatá, Colombia (connecting through Dallas) to visit another friend, before flying back into Atlanta.

After classes were canceled and moved online for the remainder of the semester, the student and his roommates attended social events for St. Patrick’s Day on Wednesday March 11. They went to Wesley Place Apartments, where various groups of students were gathered, before the groups dispersed to multiple off-campus houses for the remainder of the day. The patient did not feel symptomatic until hours after the events.

“After the epidemiologist suggested it, I told everyone that was at these parties to text me if they’re feeling symptoms so I can put them in touch with her.”

The Hustler reported earlier this week that Max Schulman tested positive for coronavirus after visiting Barcelona for spring break. Last week, the first Vanderbilt student tested positive for coronavirus in Chicago after returning from Florence, Italy studying abroad.

Vanderbilt emailed the student body to inform them of the positive test on Saturday March 14 at 1:21 p.m.

Updated March 14 at 1:36 p.m with information on Vanderbilt’s student-wide email response.

Those who believe they may have been exposed to or infected with the novel coronavirus should seek medical care right away. Before you go to a clinic, doctor’s office or emergency room, call ahead and tell them about your recent travel and your symptoms. Vanderbilt students should contact the Student Health Center, while faculty and staff should contact the Occupational Health Clinic for further evaluation.