Men’s Basketball: Michigan State point guard AJ Hoggard commits to Vanderbilt

Hoggard marks the Commodores’ tenth transfer this offseason, as they officially round out their 2024-25 roster
Memorial Gymnasium, as photographed on February 22, 2022. (Vanderbilt Athletics)

Head coach Mark Byington and Vanderbilt Men’s Basketball’s rapid-fire offseason has finally concluded, as former Michigan State point guard AJ Hoggard announced his commitment on a livestream with The Field of 68.

Hoggard, a graduate transfer, will spend his final season of eligibility with the Commodores. The Coatesville, Pa. native had been a staple in the Spartans’ lineup throughout the past two seasons, as he started all but one of a possible 66 games between 2022-24 for head coach Tom Izzo and Co. He chose Vanderbilt because he felt it would be the best place to call home for his final year in college.

“For me, the biggest thing was definitely the fit,” Hoggard said. “I got one more shot at this. I want to give myself the best opportunity to capture my dreams.”

Beyond his experience, the 6’4″ point guard brings a lot to the table for the Black and Gold. His pedigree as a facilitator is already well-established: Hoggard has averaged 5.6 and 5.2 assists per game over the past two seasons, respectively. His 3-point shooting has improved throughout his entire career, rocketing from 16.7% as a freshman to a career-high 34.7% last season.

More than anything else, though, Hoggard is a winner. In four years with Michigan State, he helped lead the team to two second-round appearances, as well as a Sweet Sixteen appearance, in the NCAA Tournament. Hoggard averaged 19 points and 5 rebounds during the Spartans’ Sweet Sixteen run in the 2022-23 season. His winning spirit and experience will be more than welcome as Byington faces the daunting task of rebuilding Vanderbilt Men’s Basketball in the wake of Jerry Stackhouse’s departure.

Hoggard knows he’s come a long way but also knows there’s always room to grow.

“I just think being consistent in all aspects, continue getting better, continue shooting the ball better,” Hoggard said. “Definitely just being consistent would be a big thing for me.”