Students+perform+in+SACE%27s+annual+Diwali+Showcase+on+Saturday%2C+November+9%2C+2019.+

IN PHOTOS: The Diwali Showcase 2019

Students perform in SACE's annual Diwali Showcase on Saturday, November 9, 2019.

Truman McDaniel

Truman McDaniel

Truman McDaniel

IN PHOTOS: The Diwali Showcase 2019

SACE held its annual cultural celebration The Diwali Showcase Nov. 9

November 10, 2019

Vanderbilt University South Asian Cultural Exchange (SACE) hosted its annual cultural celebration, The Diwali Showcase (TDS), Saturday, Nov. 9. The pre-show dinner was held in the Student Life Center (SLC) while the actual performance was in Langford Auditorium. 

Students perform in SACE’s annual Diwali Showcase on Saturday, November 9, 2019.

Students from all parts of campus came together to watch the performance and to celebrate Diwali, a Hindu holiday known as the “Festival of Lights,” which has a symbolic meaning of letting light prevail over darkness. 

The dinner featured foods from South Asian countries that celebrate Diwali. Dishes like paneer, biryani and gulab jamun lined tables in the SLC while symbols from South Asian cultures decorated the space. Vitrag Patel, a speaker from Vandy Karma, Vanderbilt’s Hindu Organization, delivered a presentation about the origins and importance of Diwali as guests shared a delicious meal.

Student dancers came from a range of backgrounds and wore traditional-inspired clothing, frequently adorned in rich colors and gold embellishments. Dances such as Ghoomar, Bollywood, Tollywood and more showcased the beauty of South Asian heritage and celebrated the cultural holiday of Diwali. 

Any student could participate in the student led and choreographed dances; in preparation for TDS, performers learned and perfected their acts over multiple meetings every week for more than two months. 

In addition to student-choreographed dances, the showcase featured performances delivered by student organizations including the Bhangradores, VIBE and non-dance groups like Double Major and Spoken Word.

One Response to “IN PHOTOS: The Diwali Showcase 2019”

1. Mohammad Al-Masum on November 11th, 2019 10:41 am

It was a fabulous program. Thank you Vanderbilt, Thank you SACE’s annual Diwali Showcase. I love this invitation.

Masum

Social Share Buttons and Icons powered by Ultimatelysocial