University reveals plan to be carbon neutral, transition to renewable energy by 2050

Plan works in conjunction with larger FutureVU initiatives

Spring at Vanderbilt. Flower blossom, taken on Friday, March 16, 2018. (Photo by Claire Barnett)

Rachel Friedman, Campus Editor

Vanderbilt announced April 22 that it will commit to switching to renewable energy sources and becoming carbon neutral by 2050 as part of the FutureVU Sustainability initiative.

The main components of the plan include investing in on-site clean energy; investing in off-site, large-scale renewable energy; decreasing Vanderbilt’s carbon footprint from vehicles; increasing campus green spaces; reducing consumption and waste and investing in sustainable infrastructure.

The project falls under the purview of FutureVU, the university’s long term plan regarding future campus development and investments. The university was named among the most green schools in the nation by Princeton Review in 2018.

Earlier this semester, students collected thousands of signatures on a petition pushing the university to move toward a more sustainable campus as part of the 100 Percent Renewable Campaign. Newly inaugurated VSG President and Vice President Frances Burton and Veer Shah ran on a platform in-part based on developing sustainable initiatives on campus.

Rachel Friedman, Campus Editor

Rachel Friedman is a sophomore in the College of Arts & Science studying history and mathematics. You can reach her at rachel.f.friedman@vanderbilt.edu.