BREAKING: Gordon Sargent defers PGA TOUR card, will return for 2024-25 season

Gordon Sargent will remain on West End for another year.
Gordon Sargent teeing off at the Watersound Invitation, as photographed on Feb. 19, 2024. (Vanderbilt Athletics)

Gordon Sargent, the junior from Birmingham, Ala., has decided to defer his PGA TOUR card to the 2025-26 season and stay at Vanderbilt for his senior year. 

This past October, Sargent earned his 20th point in the PGA TOUR University Accelerated Program and successfully earned his PGA TOUR card. He had the option to either accept the card following the NCAA Championships this May, or delay the card a year and return for his senior season. He has decided to stay on West End, and his PGA TOUR card will now be active following the 2025 NCAA Championships.

“I am excited to announce that I’ll be returning to Vanderbilt for my senior year in 2024-25,” Sargent said. “It’s been an honor to represent this university alongside my teammates and coaches, and I look forward to continuing to compete – and further my education – at this amazing place that has given so much to me. I would like to thank everyone who has supported me on this journey and I’m excited for this final chapter at Vanderbilt.”

The former NCAA Champion earned his sixth collegiate victory just two weeks ago, winning the Mason Rudolph Championship for the second-straight year. He is No.1 in the Amateur World Golf Rankings and was recently named a semifinalist for the Ben Hogan Award

Now that he will remain an amateur for another year, Sargent has a guaranteed spot in the 2024 U.S. Open at Pinehurst and 2024 Open Championship at Royal Troon this summer. He earned these exemptions by winning the Mark H. McCormack Medal this past fall for being the top ranked men’s amateur golfer. 

Vanderbilt Men’s Golf next competes at the SEC Championships in St. Simons, Ga. starting on April 24.