Women’s Tennis: Vanderbilt trounces Austin Peay, Tennessee State

After an 0-2 start to the season, the Commodores are winners of five straight.
Vanderbilt defeated both Austin Peay and Tennessee State in a doubleheader on Feb. 26, 2024. (Vanderbilt Athletics)

The No. 23 Vanderbilt Women’s Tennis team (5-2) defeated both Austin Peay (3-5) and Tennessee State (0-10) in a doubleheader event on Sunday, Feb. 25. The in-state universities were Vanderbilt’s final nonconference opponents of the season.

Austin Peay

The Commodores opened the day by claiming a contested doubles point against the Governors. After the No. 17 duo of Celia-Belle Mohr and Anessa Lee defeated their opponents 6-2, Holly Staff and Sonya Macavei sealed the point for Vanderbilt 6-4.

Vanderbilt’s path to victory was never in doubt as four Commodores rushed out to dominant positions in their singles matches. No. 17 Mohr, No. 42 Bridget Stammel and Staff all defeated their opponents in just 13 games, while No. 122 Valeria Ray secured victory in just 15. 

In celebration of the beautiful weather and in the name of practice reps, both teams agreed to continue the two remaining singles matches. Macavei triumphed over Luca Bohlen after conceding the second set, while Austin Peay claimed its lone point of the day as freshman Pauline Bruns bested Amy Stevens in three sets.

By a final margin of 6-1, the Commodores advanced past their first opponent of the day.

Singles Results:

Mohr def. Leder 6-0, 6-1

Stammel def. Torrealba 6-1, 6-0

Ray def. Baranov 6-1, 6-2

Staff def. Fontana 6-0, 6-1

Macavei def. Bohlen 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-5)

Bruns def. Stevens 2-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-2)

Doubles Results:

Mohr/Lee def. Torrealba/Baranov 6-2

Stammel/Ray vs Leder/Bohlen 5-5 (unfinished)

Staff/Macavei def. Cheng/Fontana 6-4

Tennessee State

Vanderbilt got out to another fast start in the second match as the Black and Gold won each doubles set. With sophomore Naomi Katz subbing in for Stammel, the Commodores made use of all seven players on their roster.

In singles play, the Tigers proved to be no more competitive than the Governors. No match went for more than 14 games, and the two teams called it early after the Commodores secured a 5-0 victory. Mohr, Ray, Staff and Macavei were enough to give Vanderbilt its second win of the day.

With the wins over Austin Peay and Tennessee State, the Commodores improved their record to 5-2 after losing their opening two matches. The five-game winning streak is the longest since the 2022 season.

Vanderbilt will next be in action when it begins the SEC slate at Alabama on March 1. 

Singles Results:

Mohr def. Mdlulwa 6-0, 6-2

Ray def. Howard 6-1, 6-0

Staff def. Koleva 6-2, 6-0

Macavei def. Walsh 6-0, 6-2

Doubles Results:

Mohr/Lee def. Mdlulwa/Howard 6-3

Macavei/Ray def. Castillo/Koleva 6-0

Katz/Staff def. Gomez/Walsh 6-2