The Counterpuncher: Juan Lopez’s recipe for unprecedented success

A story about Juan Lopez and his remarkable combination of maturity and competitiveness.
Juan Lopez hitting backhands with the image of the flag of Spain. (Hustler Multimedia/Lexie Perez)
Lexie Perez

With a plethora of offseason turnover, including the acquisition of highly-regarded coach Scott Brown, Vanderbilt Men’s Tennis needed someone who could provide leadership and dependability. For Brown’s inaugural season, it was critical that he had a player whom he could rely on, regardless of the circumstances. In Juan Lopez, Brown has found his guy.

Growing up in the Spanish capital of Madrid, Lopez has always been an avid sports enthusiast. He began playing tennis when he was six, but didn’t fully focus on it throughout his younger years, primarily due to his love for other sports.

“I’ve always loved sports, and golf was actually my first sport. I didn’t play it for that long, but it was my first one,” Lopez told The Hustler. “I just loved playing sports with my friends. I loved playing soccer. Even after I stopped playing competitively, I’m a huge Real Madrid fan and try not to miss any games. I also love skiing, surfing — basically any sport with movement.”

As Lopez entered his teenage years, tennis became his primary focus. He first fell in love with the sport after watching the Grand Slams, a critical part of Spanish culture. In particular, he credits his passion to two specific players.

“I absolutely loved watching [Rafael] Nadal and [Roger] Federer. Nadal is everyone’s favorite player if you grow up in Spain, as he’s a huge legend. Specifically, I appreciated his mentality and competitiveness. But in terms of who I loved watching play the most, it just has to be Federer. The way that he plays is so beautiful, so elegant,” Lopez said.

By the age of 15, Lopez was fully invested into his tennis career. He quickly became one of the best youth players in Spain, finishing 10th on the U16 National Circuit Marca despite playing only 6 out of 17 tournaments. His rapid ascent to the peak of the youth tennis pyramid concluded when he was ranked as the second best U18 player in the Madrid region.

By this time, Lopez was determined to come to the United States to play Division 1 tennis. This decision was primarily due to his balance of athletic and academic skills, as he has always excelled in school and wants to become a financial advisor post-tennis. With that balance in mind, he committed to Wake Forest, a school that features an elite business school to go along with its excellent tennis program — the Demon Deacons won the national championship the year before Lopez arrived.

After redshirting in the 2018-19 season and having the 2019-20 canceled due to COVID-19, Lopez made his first collegiate appearance as a sophomore in the 2020-21 season. He went 2-0 in singles and 1-1 in doubles and still recalls the ecstatic feeling of getting his first victory.

“Yeah, getting that first win was amazing. At Wake, it’s so, so competitive to be in the lineup,” Lopez said. “Every game is in front of a huge crowd, so it was so inspiring when I got my first win. It motivated me to keep working hard and represent the school in the best way possible.” 

After getting his feet wet in 2020-21, Lopez was primed for a breakout season as a junior in the 2021-22 season. He exploded through all reasonable expectations, bursting onto the national stage with dominant records of 12-0 in singles and 6-1 in doubles. He credits this incredible season to his signature playing style: the counterpunch.

“I like to be the counterpuncher. I’ve always been very fast and think it’s one of my biggest strengths,” Lopez said. “Opponents usually get very tired when they play with me. Then, I can use my speed and stamina to my advantage.”

Lopez maintained his stellar play during his senior season, finishing with a 19-7 singles record and 11-10 doubles record. Shortly after the season concluded, Lopez announced that he was transferring to Vanderbilt.

“For me, the decision to go to Vanderbilt for my final year of eligibility was easy. Academically, it’s one of the few schools that has a Masters of Science in Finance. Tennis-wise, I’ve always dreamed of playing in the SEC, probably the toughest and most competitive conference. So, Vanderbilt was the perfect choice,” Lopez said.

Shortly after Lopez committed, Brown was announced as the Commodores’ head coach. After coaching against Lopez in each of the previous three years, he was grateful to have him on his side this time. Brown remarked on how amazing Lopez has been for the Commodores off the court.

“He’s just so mature. He’s a really hard worker who brings leadership and maturity that’s good for the group,” Brown said. “He’s also very easygoing and can always crack jokes with the guys. Him and Joubert [Klopper] have a thing going where they constantly make fun of each other for the faces they make. It’s very funny and everyone on the team finds it hilarious. Overall, he’s just an awesome presence for our team.”

While the season just began a few weeks ago, Brown has also already grown fond of the way that Lopez plays on the court.

“He never sweats. I’m partially joking, but am also dead serious. He’s got one of the best motors I’ve seen, as he can just go all day and he makes ball after ball. He’s in every single point, and can tire his opponents down rapidly. He’s a special player,” Brown said.

The bond between Brown and Lopez is mutual, as Lopez appreciates Brown’s balance between having fun and remaining focused. This philosophy is a major reason for optimism about the team this year, as Lopez is a firm believer that the team can do something special.

“Everyone is putting in a lot of work, a lot of hours this year. We have a lot of ambition, and we showed against No. 1 Ohio State that we can compete with the best teams in the country,” Lopez said. “My goal, personally, is to compete for national titles, and as a team, we want to give our best effort and be the best that we can be.”

In the final season of his decorated college career, Lopez is bringing leadership, maturity and a fierce competitive spirit to Vanderbilt. His easygoing yet consistent nature is bringing a new dimension to the Vanderbilt Men’s Tennis team, and it could be the catalyst for a successful season on West End.

Adam Burns
Adam Burns, Staff Writer
Adam Burns (‘27) is from Scottsdale, Ariz., and studies human and organizational development, business and data science in Peabody College. When not writing for The Hustler, you can find him playing sports, spending time outdoors or exploring new places. He is also an extremely passionate Philadelphia Eagles and Arizona Diamondbacks fan. You can reach him at [email protected].
Lexie Perez
Lexie Perez, Graphics Director
Lexie Perez (‘26) is from Northern Virginia and is majoring in climate studies and human and organizational development and minoring in business in the College of Arts and Science. She enjoys listening to 70s and 80s pop music, doing the daily Wordle and rooting for the Nashville Predators and Cincinnati Bengals. She can be reached at [email protected].