Chance Peña performs at Cannery Hall, as photographed on Jan. 31, 2024. (Hustler Multimedia/Sharmila Adapa)
Sharmila Adapa

IN PHOTOS: Chance Peña tells Nashville ‘i am not who i was’

Chance Peña sings to a sold-out show at Cannery Hall.

Chance Peña brought fans into his “living room” for an intimate show Wednesday night at Cannery Hall. He returned to Nashville to play as part of his headlining tour, “i am not who i was,” after opening for David Kushner last fall. 

Having seen Peña perform for Kushner last year, I was blown away by his voice and walked away a fan. In the time between shows, I’ve been an avid listener and have been waiting to see him live again. His new set and tour offers a deeper look into Peña’s journey as an artist and his growth over time. 

Peña opened his set with the single “Sleep Deprivation” while playing an acoustic guitar. Performing hit songs “In My Room” and “i am not who i was,” the setlist was packed with fan favorites, as well as new releases. Peña performed a short acoustic set including a slowed down cover of Kid Cudi’s “Pursuit of Happiness.” 

In between songs, Peña mentioned that when playing live shows he likes to imagine himself playing to family members in his living room — his favorite way to play music. This made the smaller venue of Cannery Hall feel even more intimate and personal. The show featured a compilation of his most popular tracks and songs that he had never performed before. Seeing Peña’s diverse musical range highlights his growth since last year when opening for Kushner. 

This was my first concert at Cannery Hall and I loved that Peña’s sold-out crowd made the experience feel more like a private listening session as opposed to a large-scale production. Concerts like these make me appreciate Music City more and the opportunity of being able to discover smaller artists and see them grow to headline their own tours!