Vanderbilt Campus Dining closes locations, limits hours due to predicted snow

From Jan. 15-16, Zeppos Dining Hall and Rand Munchie Mart will be closed, and Highland Munchie Mart will be open for limited hours from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. CST.
Sean Onamade
Kissam Munchie Mart, as photographed on Jan. 17, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Sean Onamade)

With a significant winter weather event predicted for Middle Tennessee early this week, Vanderbilt is taking proactive measures to ensure the safety and well-being of its community, according to a Jan. 12 email sent to students by Campus Dining. The email announced updates to its dining operation hours in response to the forecast. 

From Jan. 14-16, Common Grounds, Branscomb Munchie Mart and Kissam Munchie Mart will close at 9 p.m. CST, instead of the usual 12 a.m. CST. The Jan. 12 email to students initially announced that Highland Munchie Mart would be closed on Monday and Tuesday; however, an update posted on the Campus Dining website the following day indicated that Highland Munchie will instead remain open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. CST. The university declined to comment on what prompted the change. 

Sophomore Connie Su, a Highland resident, expressed her disappointment with the changes in Dining operations.

“I feel bad! I usually walk 13 minutes for the comfort of hot and steamy meals on days without weather warnings,” Su said. “I feel constrained to the likes of Munchie Mart and my microwave. I feel like I need to ration what I’ll be able to find at the Munchie Mart.”

The university has also announced the closures of Zeppos Dining Hall and Rand Munchie Mart from Jan. 15-16. Other dining location hours and allergen meal ordering will remain unchanged during the inclement weather. All dining locations are scheduled to resume their regular operating hours on Wednesday, Jan. 17. 

The announcement also shared that Campus Dining staff will be provided with hotel accommodations near campus. 

“We have offered hotel rooms for staff considered essential personnel for several years,” the announcement reads. “The decision to house essential staff, such as Campus Dining and Mail Services staff, is rooted in our commitment to ensure the safety and well-being of our staff, while also guaranteeing essential services to our residential community.”

Campus Dining called these inclement weather operations an improvement from prior years. 

In the past few years, we have only had Rand and Commons dining halls and a couple markets open,” Campus Dining said in an email to The Hustler. “Due to current enhancements to our inclement weather plans, we will be able to keep most locations open for students during this storm.”