The Pub to serve beer, other alcoholic beverages amid other changes to Campus Dining offerings

Campus Dining also expanded its reusable container program, meal swipe options at Wasabi and a Dining Passport rewards program.
Abby Hoelscher
Outside Rand Dining Center at evening time, as photographed on Sept. 6, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Abby Hoelscher)

Campus Dining announced several changes to its offerings for the Spring 2024 semester, including the availability of alcoholic beverages at The Pub at Overcup Oak. The changes also include an expanded reusable container system, a dining passport program and associated raffle and a meal plan option at Wasabi, located in Sarratt Student Center.

Alcoholic beverages at The Pub

Campus Dining announced it would serve beer, hard seltzer, hard kombucha and non-alcoholic options at The Pub beginning this semester.

Adding to our diverse dining options, The Pub will begin offering local craft brews, ciders, seltzers and more this semester,” a representative for Campus Dining said in an email to The Hustler. “Beer will be served at the Pub from 4-8 p.m. Sunday-Thursdays with a two-drink limit, which aligns with university alcohol policy. Food must be purchased with alcohol.”

All alcoholic beverages will cost $5, and will not be available on meal plans.

Vanderbilt Student Government echoed the announcement in a Jan. 8 email to the student body.

“Gone are the dark ages. The campus has once again been restored to its former glory,” the email reads. “We’ve fought long and hard for this moment, and now, finally, the cold ones will flow.”

The email included a link to a survey in which students can vote on which beverages The Pub should keep in stock going forward. It also included a list of the options included on the survey, including several kinds of IPAs, lagers, seltzers, hard kombuchas and non-alcoholic substitutes. The Pub currently serves only 14 of the 31 total options.

Campus Dining told The Hustler they were “not aware” that such a survey was distributed due to the short timeline on which alcoholic beverage offerings were determined.

VSG President Sam Sliman, a senior, said Campus Dining asked VSG to send the survey.

“A survey did go out, as was requested by Campus Dining in our monthly meeting, and it includes the list they provided us…of potential options,” Sliman said. “The survey is only intended to serve as a set of recommendations and is something we would have likely administered regardless.”

Junior Owen Rice said he is happy about the change.

“Listening to upperclassmen talk about the glory days of The Pub was a little depressing, and it feels like it’s starting to live up to that history,” Rice said. “I was a little worried it was going to be $10 for a Miller Lite or something, but I’m really happy with the choices they went for.”

Reusable containers

Campus Dining expanded their ReusePass reusable container program for the upcoming semester.

“In alignment with our commitment to sustainability and reducing food waste, we are pleased to announce the expansion of our reusable container program in collaboration with ReusePass,” Campus Dining said. “Reusable containers will be available at Rand, 2301 and Kissam, replacing wasteful single-use compostable containers.”

Students can sign up to rent reusable containers online

Dining passports

Campus Dining will host a Dining Passport pilot competition throughout the Spring 2024 semester.

“Vanderbilt University is elevating campus dining with the introduction of the Dining Passport program,” Campus Dining told The Hustler. “This innovative initiative encourages students to embark on a culinary adventure by visiting every dining hall, Munchie Mart and cafe on campus.”

Students can get passports at any dining hall, and all dining locations will offer unique stamps for students to add to their passports.

“When you complete your dining passport, return it to the drop box at Rand. Campus Dining will do prize drawings throughout the semester,” Campus Dining said, adding that prizes will include $100 Vanderbilt Bookstore gift cards, AirPods and Meal Money.

Wasabi meal plan option

Campus Dining announced a meal plan option will now be served at Wasabi, located in the basement of Sarratt Student Center.

“After welcoming Wasabi, a sushi and boba dining option in the basement level of Sarratt in 2023, we’re excited to announce a new meal swipe option this semester,” Campus Dining said. “Now, you can enjoy sushi, including special rolls exclusively available at Wasabi, and a boba drink using your meal swipe.”

Campus Dining told The Hustler the options for the meal plan were limited at Wasabi due to costs.

“Wasabi is offering boba tea and a sushi tray on the meal plan with no sides due to the cost of these two items that location is allotted,” Campus Dining said. “Wasabi does not offer ‘side’ options like our dining halls and markets.”

Other changes

Campus Dining made note of several smaller changes to its offerings this semester.

“Our salad bars are getting an upgrade with hydroponically grown strawberries, and campus cuisines now boast a variety of mushrooms,” Campus Dining said.

Campus Dining told The Hustler that more proteins are available at the Mexican and Mongolian stations in Rand for lunch, alongside a pancake rotation for breakfast. Kissam will now offer grab-and-go sandwiches and made-to-order omelets for breakfast, while rotating through options such as salmon, birria and baked potatoes for dinner. Fish and chips will be available on Fridays at The Pub.

“The Commons dining hall is shaking up dinner with Southern American options at the Chef’s Table — think smoked meats and jambalaya,” Campus Dining said. “Meanwhile, Taqueria is ramping up the protein options with barbacoa, carne asada and more!”

Lastly, EBI will now offer banh mi for lunch. 

“Following the success of Chef Julien’s banh mi at the Chef Cook-Off this past semester, we’re adding it to the menu at EBI for lunch,” Campus Dining said. “Dinner at EBI will now consist of a pan-Asian bowl option and  shrimp boils and fish fries on select days.”

Parker Smith
Parker Smith, Former Deputy News Editor
Parker Smith ('24) is majoring in computer science and political science in the School of Engineering. He enjoys playing guitar in his spare time and is a former Starbucks barista and self-proclaimed coffee expert. He can be reached at [email protected].
Abby Hoelscher
Abby Hoelscher, Photography Editor
Abby Hoelscher (‘27) is from St. Louis and is an aspiring elementary teacher currently studying in Peabody College. She previously served as Deputy Photography Director. Outside of writing, she enjoys performing, learning Taylor Swift songs in American Sign Language and trying the seasonal lattes from the campus coffee shops. She can be reached at [email protected].