Vanderbilt moves Marketplace offerings to GET app

Starting next semester, members of student organizations will be able to purchase membership dues and merchandise on GET.
Young Yao
The GET app opening on a phone, as photographed on Dec. 24, 2023. (Hustler Staff/Young Yao)

Vanderbilt Student Organizations, Leadership and Service announced on Dec. 8 that Marketplace will move to the GET app, effective Jan. 8. Student organization leaders were notified a week prior to the public announcement via an email from the Student Affairs Marketplace Team, who said the transfer will make purchasing membership dues and merchandise more convenient.

Marketplace served as a platform for registered student organizations to charge membership dues and sell merchandise to anyone with a vunetID. Marketplace allowed payments to be made using a Commodore Card, a credit card or Experience Vanderbilt funds. 

The transfer to the GET app, which is currently used primarily by Campus Dining, will reduce the transaction fee for credit card purchases from 5% to 2.5%. No transaction fee will be charged for purchases using a Commodore Card or Experience Vanderbilt funds.

The Marketplace Team requested that student organizations conclude any outstanding sales on Marketplace before Dec.15. Student organizations that wish to collect semesterly dues are required to complete a new form on AnchorLink to transfer their information to the GET app prior to the start of the spring semester. No further action is required for clubs with listings valid past Jan. 8, such as annual dues, on the current Marketplace. These listings will be automatically transferred to GET, according to the Marketplace Team.  

Many leaders of student organizations supported the transfer, lauding the convenience and user-friendliness of the new platform. 

“I believe the move from Marketplace to GET is for the better,” junior Aakash Venumuddala, co-president of Vanderbilt Men’s Volleyball Club, commented in an email to The Hustler.

According to Venumuddala, many students already use the GET app to check their Commodore Cash and Meal Money. He believes that the GET app has a much more accessible interface.

Senior Dillen Cameron, president of Vanderbilt Rowing Club, also said she looks forward to the transfer.

“I believe it [the transfer] will make it easier for our members to pay their dues,” Cameron said. 

Other students appeared indifferent, citing the minimal impact of the transfer.

“It’s just another platform, after all,” first-year Qiao Li, a member of Vanderbilt Climbing Club, said. “I still have to pay my dues next semester.”