A photographer deploys equipment to photograph Radnor Lake and its surroundings, as captured on Nov. 23, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Royce Yang)
Royce Yang

IN PHOTOS: Thankful for a Break

Our staffers traveled near and far to fill their Thanksgiving holidays with friends, family and food.

Staffers shared appreciation for everything from family pets to the beauty of nature on their Thanksgiving breaks this season as they begin to hunker down for the final three weeks of the semester.

Barrie Barto, Photography Director

I spent Thanksgiving this year in South Carolina. The slow pace of life on the coast helped me rest from the bustle of being a Vanderbilt student. I flew back to Tennessee early to catch the football game against the University of Tennessee. The bustling atmosphere of the away SEC game was infectious, and I had a great time at the last football game of the year despite Vanderbilt’s loss. 

Josh Rehders, Deputy Photography Director

I spent the beginning of Thanksgiving break in San Jose del Cabo in Mexico. Sitting on the beach and near the pool helped me rest and recharge before the final push to the end of the semester. I flew back home to Houston for a few days and then flew to Knoxville to join Barrie in shooting the football game versus the University of Tennessee. This was my final football game as a Vanderbilt student, so it felt fitting to cover and attend the rivalry game.

Ophelia Lu, Assistant Photography Specialist

Thanksgiving was a much-needed break for me. I went back home and caught up with friends from high school. I took some photos on my phone while hiking and walking around neighborhoods for fun, and these scenes are now some of my favorite memories.

Alex Brodeur, Staff Photographer

During my first trip home to New Jersey since arriving on campus this fall, I spent time with friends from my hometown and visited New York City. I visited a few museums during my visit to New York as well as taking walks through Central Park to observe the colorful foliage. While home, I also took the chance to volunteer with a local historical society I have previously worked with.

Vince Lin, Staff Photographer

For Thanksgiving Break, I went back home to family and relaxed for a couple of days. As fall begins to fade away in Ohio, the ground is turning orange and red due to the number of leaves falling. I spent as much time as I could outdoors before the weather turns unbearably cold when I go back for winter break.

Lyton Mhlanga, Staff Photographer

Being my first-ever Thanksgiving celebration in the U.S., I chose to spend the greater portion of my break with my uncle in Atlanta. As an adventurous soul, I quickly found myself thoroughly enjoying the shuffle and bustle of Atlanta. Before heading home, I took a detour to watch the Annual Bayou Classic with my friends.

Sieran Weatherly, Staff Photographer

I spent a lot of time with my family over Thanksgiving Break. We went to downtown Paris, Tenn., to shop at the boutiques on the square and enjoy the scenery. Paris seemed to already be in the Christmas spirit, with a large Christmas tree in the middle of the square and multiple other decorations. To top it off, there was a beautiful small patch of a rainbow in the sky, which my mom told me is called a “sun dog.”

Royce Yang, Staff Photographer

This Thanksgiving involved a local lakeside journey along J. Percy Priest Lake and Radnor Lake in Nashville. I was quite grateful to see a mesmerizing blend of concrete, water and chlorophyll.

Drew Nelles, Staff Writer

The week of Thanksgiving break offered some desperately needed rest and relaxation. After arriving back home in San Diego on Friday night, I hopped off the plane and submitted one final project before midnight struck. My first two days were spent laying low and hanging out with my dog, Maggie. It was really special catching up with relatives and friends who I hadn’t seen for a while on Thanksgiving Day. In between family obligations, I hung out with local friends on the Del Mar cliffs where we always used to hang out during high school. Finishing off the week strong, our family hosted a group of four Navy Seal trainees for dinner and football on Saturday night. Listening to their stories from training drew out some good laughs.