IN PHOTOS: Psychedelic rock band Bluphoria ‘Set Me Up’ for a night of fun

The underrated, unique band Bluphoria traveled to The East Room on Nov. 18 to mark the end of a three-month national tour, which debuted their first self-titled album.
+Bluphoria+frontman+Reign+LaFreniere+sings+into+the+microphone+at+The+East+Room%2C+as+photographed+on+Nov.+18%2C+2023.+%28Hustler+Multimedia%2FSavannah+Walske%29
Savannah Walske
Bluphoria frontman Reign LaFreniere sings into the microphone at The East Room, as photographed on Nov. 18, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Savannah Walske)

Heads thrashing, hips swaying, heels tapping — the spell Bluphoria had cast on the audience of The East Room, a small, intimate venue in East Nashville, was clear before the last note of the first song rang out. Even though many of their underrated songs went unknown by much of the crowd, every song was met with cheers and dancing.

Since mid-October, the Nashville-based band had been co-headlining a national tour with indie artist Noah Vonne to promote their first album, Bluphoria. Throughout a 12-song set, the band artfully showcased the various genres Bluphoria synthesizes in their growing discography — rock blues, alternative, pop and psychedelia.

Reign LaFreniere, the band’s frontrunner and lead guitarist, set aside a moment between songs to introduce the band’s new drummer, Mia Roth, and highlight her musical skills with a drum solo. As explained by LaFreniere, Roth joined the group at the beginning of their national tour without question. Jokingly chiming in, Roth mimicked her former self.

“You want me to go on tour with you guys? Great, where’re we going?” Roth said. 

LaFreniere, dressed in a bold, white-tasseled leather jacket, shone brightly from the start. Although each band member showed off their own distinctive get-up, the lead guitarist’s exaggerated eye makeup emphasized his star-like stage presence. Later in the set, he surprised the audience by twirling the body of his electric guitar to meet his face, playing the notes of the song with his tongue instead of his fingers.

LaFreniere impressively plays his electric guitar using his tongue mid-song, as photographe on Nov. 18, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Savannah Walske) (Savannah Walske)

Between performances of “Pretty People” and “Ain’t Got Me,” LaFreniere stopped to address the audience. He emphasized the band’s happiness to close the show in the place they call home. He continued to express his and the entire group’s satisfaction with the band’s first national tour.

This tour marked the successful release of Bluphoria’s first album, which I appreciated even more live. By the concert’s end, I left The East Room eagerly wondering what is to come from the talented, four-piece band in the following years. Surely, with their impeccable stage presence and catchy tunes, a future of nothing but success lies ahead of them in Music City.