Genesis Owusu starts a song, as photographed on Oct. 29, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Narenkumar Thirmiya)
Narenkumar Thirmiya

IN PHOTOS: Genesis Owusu thrilled Nashville on Halloweekend

The Australian artist delivered an electrifying performance at the Basement East.

Over the past couple of years, I’ve become a huge fan of Australian artist Kofi Owusu-Ansah, better known as Genesis Owusu. I find his music exciting because he transcends genres across his albums, seamlessly blending hip-hop, punk, R&B and pop into a cohesive piece of art. When I learned that Genesis Owusu was coming to Nashville on Oct. 29, I knew I couldn’t miss out on seeing him.

To begin the night, Enumclaw, a rock band hailing from Tacoma, Wash., took to the stage. Their thunderous start to the night included songs “Bell Hooks” and “Change.” Each song was met with a wave of applause from the crowd, many of whom were decked out in Halloween costumes.

After a brief pause to switch out the set, Owusu swiftly appeared on stage, wearing a black coat. As he started his first song for the night, “Leaving the Light,” he unveiled a large glass box behind him containing pulsating lights that matched the intense rhythm of the song. He followed with the equally exhilarating songs “Survivor” and “Old Man,” bringing the concert to a rousing start.

Throughout the night, Owusu displayed the musical versatility I have come to know him for. He played “Tied Up,” an inspirational pop rock cut, and followed it up with “That’s Life (A Swamp),” a song filled with colorful disco grooves.

I was enthralled by the various ways Owusu kept the crowd engaged. He would often make hand-hearts with audience members. At the end of “Don’t Need You,” Owusu led the crowd in an acapella rendition of the song’s chorus, encouraging everyone to be as loud as possible.

In the middle of the concert, Owusu stopped to thank the audience for their support. He discussed his latest album, “Struggler,” and how it dealt with themes of existentialism and perseverance in our daily lives.

At the end of the show, Owusu jumped from the stage onto the floor. He requested the crowd to sit down and turn their phone lights on to sing “A Song About Fishing,” a slower hopeful ballad that contrasted some of the faster tempos of his previous songs. For the encore, he finished with “The Roach,” another hard-hitting song about resilience.

Ultimately, Genesis Owusu’s show was the perfect way to spend my Halloweekend. His performance was incredibly captivating, and I can’t wait to revisit his discography and see what he has in store for the future.