Cheekwood Harvest is still as festive as ever

If you’re ready for an escape from campus, stop by Cheekwood Estate and Gardens for a fancy fall paradise.
Caroline Lingle
The Pumpkin House at Cheekwood Harvest, as captured on Oct. 20, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Caroline Lingle)

It’s my pleasure to return to you, readers, three years after my first review to once again write about Cheekwood Harvest — one of my favorite Nashville excursions. Only 20 minutes away from campus (and within city limits), you’ll find this natural oasis. 

The gardens boast various outdoor areas and gardens year-round, such as the Blevins Japanese Garden, the Bracken Foundation Children’s Garden (I loved the obstacle course, not too old for it yet), the Bradford Robertson Color Garden, a Water Garden and so many more. However, I was there for the fall festivities specifically. 

At Cheekwood Harvest, you can enjoy vast fall-themed gardens, food, drinks and music. Pumpkins cover the color garden, even covering entire benches and houses. Scarecrows made by local Nashville schools and groups line the paths and, if you’re 21, be sure to enjoy the cutest Beer Garden. These past few weekends, musicians such as Tim Gartland, Abigail Flowers and Emmanuel Echem have graced the Beer Garden from 11 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. CDT for live weekend performances. In case you haven’t had enough, you can take the joy home with a pumpkin of your own. Overpriced? Maybe. Worth it? Maybe!

I had the immense honor of attending the annual Halloween Pooch Party this year, and the event was even included in the general admission ticket. If you’re as dog-obsessed and deprived as me, this event will give you enough dopamine for a month. This year’s party was scarecrow-themed and invited dogs across Tennessee to dress up in their best garb. Award categories included titles such as Best Kid & Canine Combo, Adult & Dog Duo, Top Dawg and Best Bug (in honor of the scarecrow theme). I got to meet Great Dane Holly, who dressed up as a cow (not too far off given her size); George, an English Bulldog dressed up as a disco ball (again, perfect due to his roundness) and a doodle family dressed as the “Wizard of Oz.” Wags and Walks, a local adoption center brought some adoptable puppies by, making them almost impossible to pass up. Human friends can enjoy treats from various food trucks and drink trucks as well. 

George the bulldog, as captured on Oct. 20, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Caroline Lingle) (Caroline Lingle)

Pop on by this week to see the final days of Cheekwood’s 2023 Harvest, and don’t forget your student discount! If you’re lucky, maybe you’ll run into some furry friends just like I did.