Women’s Tennis: Commodores win June Stewart Invitational

Vanderbilt Women’s Tennis hosted the June Stewart Invitation last weekend, dominating play and winning the competition. 
Alessandra Salvini
The women’s tennis team laughs, as photographed on Sept. 24, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Alessandra Salvini)

Following a strong performance at the Kitty Harrison Invitational just last week, Vanderbilt continued to dominate at home at the Lummis Family Tennis Center, as the Commodores  hosted the Women’s June Stewart Invitational this past weekend. 

Women’s tennis teams from the University of Louisville, Ole Miss and Purdue came to compete during the three-day tournament (Sept. 22-24). 

Vanderbilt broke even in singles on Day 1, going 3-3 against Purdue. With this, Celia-Belle Mohr (ITA’s preseason ranked No. 12 player) and Bridget Stammel both won their respective games in straight-set style, where Sonya Macavei powered through to win in a tiebreak. The team also went 2-3 in doubles against Louisville, with both wins coming in a landslide fashion, 6-1 and 6-2. Here, singles-winners Stammel and Macavei added to their resume by picking up a doubles win, and Mohr paired with teammate Anessa Lee for another, giving Vanderbilt a fair 5-4 day to begin the weekend. 

While Day 2 saw the Commodores struggle in doubles play, – Ole Miss took both matches from Vanderbilt. The Commodores dominated in singles, winning all five games against Louisville. Mohr and Stammel picked up their second singles win of the weekend, and Valeria Ray, Holly Staff and Amy Stevens all won their matches in straight sets. Thanks to their excellent play in singles, the Commodores were in the win column for the second day in a row. 

On Day 1, Vanderbilt doubles dominated, winning two out of three matches. But, on Day 2, the singles stole the show by going undefeated. 

Naturally, on Day 3, the Commodores did it all. 

Vanderbilt went 8-0 on Sunday, winning every match, both in singles and doubles,  finishing off the three-day series with success. Mohr, Staff, Ray, Stevens and Macavei finished their weekend winning their matches against Ole Miss, leaving all the women with multiple singles wins in this tournament. Wrapping up their weekend, the duos Mohr and Staff and Ray and Stevens won their respective doubles matches, leaving the energy on the court for Lee and Stammel to add one last under the Vanderbilt name. 

This team now prepares to visit the ITA All-American Championship from Sept. 20 – Oct. 9, in North Carolina.