Christian fraternity Beta Upsilon Chi joins Interfraternity Council

BYX has existed at Vanderbilt as an off-campus organization since 2003 and has been working to join IFC for the past few years.
Alex Venero
Greek row, as photographed on Aug. 28, 2020. (Hustler Multimedia/Alex Venero)

The Nu Chapter of Beta Upsilon Chi will join the Interfraternity Council this semester. BYX President Tejit Pamidi said that the possibility of Vanderbilt’s chapter of BYX joining the IFC had been discussed for the past few years, though it was not actively pursued until January.

While the national BYX fraternity is part of the North American Interfraternity Conference (NIC), Vanderbilt’s chapter had not joined the Vanderbilt IFC until this semester. It also had not been an officially registered student organization. 

IFC President Jack Bukovnik said that due to BYX’s recognition by NIC, the Vanderbilt chapter became eligible to join the IFC as a member chapter upon being approved as a registered student organization. 

“Nu Chapter of Beta Upsilon Chi is excited to be recognized as a registered student organization and a member of IFC at Vanderbilt effective this semester,” an official statement from Vanderbilt’s chapter of BYX reads. “This will allow us to make our vision more accessible on campus and fully participate in Vanderbilt student life.”

Approval process

Pamidi said that the biggest challenge in the approval process was having the national BYX fraternity agree to Vanderbilt’s policies in full in order to become a registered student organization.

“Our only requirement is that someone self-professes that they are a Christian…that was the hold up, deciding if that abides by [non-discrimination] policy or not,” Pamidi said.

Cam Alden, an Office of Greek Life coordinator, confirmed to The Hustler that BYX’s constitution and bylaws were subject to careful review during the approval process. 

BYX has had a presence on the Vanderbilt campus since 2003 and recently completed the process to become a registered student organization. During the registration process, the organization’s constitution and bylaws were reviewed closely by the University to ensure they complied with all Vanderbilt policies, including the University’s non-discrimination policy,” Alden said.

Looking ahead

Now that the provision was approved by the university and BYX is officially a student organization, Pamidi said he hopes BYX will gain more recognition on campus as a member of IFC.

“The thing I’m most excited about [is] being at the org fair for freshmen at the beginning of the year. People will recognize what BYX is, whether they have any interest in it or not,” Pamidi said.

Junior Tanner David said he feels the fraternity has yet to reach the greater Vanderbilt community. 

“Through our connection with IFC, I expect to see a lot more outreach for BYX that isn’t just from Christian ministries on campus,” David said. “That brings in greater diversity to our new members, which is such an important element of helping new brothers to grow as people and to build bonds with each other.” 

While many changes may be coming to BYX, current recruitment officer Jacob Davey, a sophomore, said he does not expect BYX’s principles to change.

“I expect the chapter to be more involved in campus events and communities and have more collaboration with IFC fraternities and sororities. However, I do not see any of our core beliefs or culture changing,” Davey said.