Highland Quad demolition paused, university to explore other uses for area

The university previously announced that all residential buildings on Highland Quad would be demolished after the 2023-24 academic year.
Claire Gatlin
Highland Quadrangle, as photographed on Feb. 28, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Claire Gatlin)

The university announced on Aug. 16 that the planned demolition of Highland Quadrangle in Spring 2024 has been put on hold to assess additional residential college locations and other possible uses for the area. Highland residential spaces — Morgan House, Lewis House, the Mayfield Living Learning Lodges and Chaffin Place — will all be available for the 2024-25 housing process.

The news comes as a reversal of the university’s previous announcement on July 6, 2022, which stated that Highland Quad would be demolished to make room for three new residential colleges slated to open in Fall 2027. It is unclear based on the press release when and if Highland will be demolished. The university did not immediately respond to The Hustler’s request for comment on this matter.

“Residence halls in Highland Quad will not be demolished after the end of this academic year. However, plans to reimagine this space are moving forward,” the announcement reads.

In an Aug. 16 email to Highland Quad residents, Associate Dean for Housing and Residential Experience Sophia Chaknis reminded students of residential expectations in light of the decision to maintain Highland housing options for at least another academic year. She emphasized that painting walls and furniture, as well as the use of tape, adhesive holders and metal fasteners on all surfaces, are prohibited. 

“As these communities will continue to be utilized, it is important to respect the buildings for all future occupants,” Chaknis said in the email.

After the university announced the demolition of Carmichael Towers in July 2019, students drew and painted on their dorm walls during the 2019-20 academic year, expecting to be the final Towers residents. Due to COVID-19, the demolition of Carmichael Towers East was delayed from Spring 2020 to Summer 2021, leaving a cohort of students to reside in the decorated rooms during the 2020-21 academic year.     

Sophomore Ty Fong expressed disappointment with the news regarding Highland’s demolition as he and his housemates were similarly hoping to customize their residential space before its demolition.

“I wish I could’ve known this news earlier. In fact, someone in our Mayfield had previously reached out to Vanderbilt to see if we were able to personalize our space,” Fong said. “The news is a bit unfortunate, but I am confident that it’ll still be a great experience at Highland.”

The university did not immediately respond to The Hustler’s request for comment about its plans for Highland Quad and future residential colleges.

Brina Ratangee
Brina Ratangee, News Editor
Brina Ratangee ('24) is a student in the College of Arts and Science majoring in medicine, health & society and neuroscience. When not writing for The Hustler, she enjoys trivia nights, solving NYT crosswords and biking around Nashville. You can reach her at [email protected].
Claire Gatlin
Claire Gatlin, Life Editor
Claire Gatlin ('24) is a student in Peabody College studying human and organizational development and political science. In her free time, she enjoys going to concerts, reading and rollerblading. You can reach her at [email protected].