BREAKING: Scott Brown hired as new Men’s Tennis head coach

20 years after leading Vanderbilt to its only men’s tennis final in program history, Brown returns to his alma mater with his eyes set on a National Championship.
Vanderbilt announced Scott Brown as the next head coach of the Men’s Tennis program (Vanderbilt Athletics)

Scott Brown will take over as the next head coach of Vanderbilt Men’s Tennis, the university announced this morning. Brown has spent the last 11 years with the University of Virginia’s men’s tennis team and has served as the associate head coach since 2019. The Cavaliers have unquestionably been the best team in the country during that period — winning five national titles including back-to-back championships in the 2022 and 2023 seasons.

Brown was a member of the Vanderbilt men’s tennis team from 2001-2005. During that span, he took home three All-SEC selections, three qualifications for the NCAA Doubles Championship tournament and one qualification for the NCAA Singles Championship tournament. In the 2003 season, Brown was part of a historic Vanderbilt run that included an SEC championship and a nail-biting 4-3 loss to Illinois in the national title game.

Brown will take over for Ian Duvenhage, who announced in October that he would be stepping down at the end of the season. Duvenage served as the head coach of the Commodores for 18 seasons and is the winningest head coach in program history. In Duvenhage’s final season at the helm, Vanderbilt posted a 10-18 record and finished second in the first-ever Universal Tennis NIT.