Lacrosse: Vanderbilt falls to Coastal Carolina 17-13

The Commodores have now lost six of their last seven contests.
Barrie Barto
Nellie Blaze celebrates against Denver on Feb. 12, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Barrie Barto)

The Commodores traveled to Conway, South Carolina on April 12 to take on Coastal Carolina. The Chanticleers served as Vanderbilt’s first non-conference opponent in their last four games. Despite a strong first half performance, Vanderbilt lost to Coastal Carolina by a score of 17-13.

Seconds after the opening whistle blew, senior midfielder Paige Finneran struck for the Commodores, firing a scorching ball into the back of the net. The momentum didn’t last for long, though, as the Chanticleers scored two relatively quick goals courtesy of Avery Mcilwaine and Kayla Downey. Attacker Molly Finlay managed to knot the game at two.

Later in the first quarter, a shot from Kayla Rieu was pushed into the net by Coastal Carolina goalie Claire Martell, giving the Commodores a 3-2 lead. The remainder of the first quarter was one defined by rapid back-and-forth scoring. Avery Snyder and Mcilwaine each found the back of the net to put the Chanticleers back up one. Bri Gross and Monica Manley would then trade goals to bring the score to 5-4 in favor of Coastal Carolina. 

Vanderbilt would conclude the final three minutes of the first quarter with three key goals: two from Josie Ward and one from Nancy Halleron. 

The Commodores brought this intensity into the second quarter, as Lila Huddles and Cate Bradley would both score to open the frame, giving the Commodores a 9-5 advantage. Downey and Brigid Cardillo would then respond for the Chanticleers. The final seven minutes of the half saw Finlay and Finneran each score their second of the game. The Commodores headed to the locker room up 11-8.

Much of Vanderbilt’s effort in the first half was forgotten because of what happened next. The Chanticleers came out of the break on a mission, putting up the first four goals of the half and outscoring the Commodores 9-2 in the second half overall. Rieu and Gross were the lone goal scorers for Vanderbilt in the nightmare half. 

With the loss, Vanderbilt has now lost six of their last seven games and sits in second to last place in the American Athletic Conference (1-3), only ahead of Old Dominion. 2023 has been a tough campaign for a Commodore squad that finished 11-7 overall in 2022. They currently sit at 3-10.

Vanderbilt will look to bounce back when they take on conference opponent Florida in Gainesville on April 22 at 11 a.m. CDT.