Men’s Tennis: Vanderbilt drops three matches against Auburn, Texas A&M and Kentucky

Men’s Tennis faltered over the past week, dropping conference matches against Auburn, Texas A&M and Kentucky.
Anseley Philippe
Siim Troost plays a point against Arkansas, as photographed on March 2, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Anseley Philippe)

The Vanderbilt Men’s Tennis team played three matches between April 2 and April 9. They played Auburn on April 2, Texas A&M on April 7 and Kentucky on April 9. Despite a hard fight, the Commodores lost these matches 0-4, 2-4, and 2-4, respectively.

Auburn

In the singles matches against Auburn, Michael Ross was defeated by the Tigers’ Finn Murget,  6-2, 6-3. Raul Dobai of Auburn defeated Jeremie Casabon 6-2, 6-0. Finally, Auburn’s Billy Blaydes defeated Macsen Sisam, 6-0, 6-2. The three other singles matches taking place were not finished. 

On the doubles side, Jan and Blaydes defeated Ross and Cox 7-5 and Stice and Moreno defeated Klopper and Sisam, 6-2. 23rd ranked Murgett and Dobai were facing 35th ranked Troost and Casabon and were tied 5-5 when the point was called.

Texas A&M

In the singles matches against Texas A&M, the Aggies’ 62nd ranked Raphael Perot defeated  Klopper, 6-3, 6-4. Guido Marson defeated Troost, 7-5, 6-1. Hilderbrand defeated Casabon 4-6, 6-3, 6-3. Luke Casper defeated Macsen Sisam, 7-6 (7-3, 6-4. Cox picked up a win for Vanderbilt, 41st ranked Noah Schachter 6-3, 7-5. 

In the doubles matches, Ross and Cox defeated Texas A&M’s JC Roddick and Perego, 7-6 (7-2). Kenner Taylor and Perot of the Aggies defeated Sisam and Klopper, 6-3. Casabon and Troost  defeated A&M’s 40th ranked Schacter and Trey Hilderbrand, 6-4.

Kentucky

The Commodores struggled in singles matches against Kentucky. 20th ranked dLiam Draxl of the Wildcats defeated Cox 6-0, 6-3. Kentucky’s 24th ranked Alafia Ayeni defeated Klopper, 7-5, 6-4. Kentucky’s Taha Baadi defeated Troost, 7-6 (9-7), 6-2. Wildcats’ Charlelie Cosnet defeated Sisam, 6-1, 6-4. Casabon salvaged a point for Vanderbilt, defeating Jaden Weekes, 6-3, 6-3. 

On the doubles side, Draxl and Weekes of the Wildcats beat Klopper and Sisam, 6-3. Casabon and Troost defeated Kentucky’s 25th ranked Ayeni and Baadi, 6-3. Cox and Russell beat 66th ranked Lapadet and Mercer, 6-4.

Vanderbilt will next travel to Baton Rouge on April 16th where they will play LSU at 12 p.m. CDT in its regular season finale.