Gordon Sargent at The Masters: A hill to climb after day one

Gordon Sargent battled through his first round of the Masters, finishing the day at five over and in a tie for 78th.
Gordon Sargent is ready for his Masters moment (Hustler Multimedia/Lexie Perez).

Gordon Sargent played in the first round of the Masters Tournament today, teeing off at 11:48 A.M CT. While there were many highs and lows from the round, one thing remains the same. Gordon Sargent is tough. In rainy conditions late in the afternoon in Augusta, Georgia, Sargent was able to put together a round of 77 on the par-72 course. 

Sargent started the day early, waking up at 6:45 A.M to prepare for the big day ahead. After a breakfast consisting of pancakes, it was time for the Sargent to make his Masters debut. The Vanderbilt sophomore was ready to tackle the biggest stage in golf. 

At 11:48 A.M. CT, Sargent stepped up on the first tee box to begin his Masters Tournament. Did the nerves of playing in his first major championship phase the 19-year-old on the first tee? Absolutely not. He proceeded to hit a towering fade over 350 yards right down the middle of the fairway. But Sargent didn’t just wow spectators with his driving ability, he also stuck his wedge on the 1st hole to nine feet to set up his first birdie of the day.

It was a dream start and Sargent looked poised to go low on Thursday.

An unfortunate bogey on hole 2 brought Sargent back to even-par. The 3rd hole proved to be troublesome for Sargent. A series of events (which aren’t worth dwelling on) led to a triple bogey, a blow to the scorecard. However, readers know Gordon Sargent is tough and resilient. Sargent didn’t get mentally defeated by this lapse in concentration. Instead, he chose to remember one thing:

“We are at Augusta National in the Masters, how can you complain?” Sargent fittingly remarked after the round.

After going four-over through five holes, Sargent began to settle down and play some fantastic golf. He birdied the 7th, after hitting a wedge from 89 yards to four feet. Then, on the par-5 8th hole, he hit an excellent pitch shot to a mere two feet to set up his third birdie of the day. All was back on track for the sophomore. 

Sargent finished the front nine at three-over. 

The back nine was a display of consistent, steady golf. 

Other than a small slip-up, going long of the green, to make double bogey on the 11th hole, Sargent continued to drive the ball exceptionally well. In fact, he outdrove his playing partners on almost every hole. While his tee shots were outstanding, Sargent was a little more tough on himself.

“Just really sloppy around the greens and on the greens.” Sargent said.

These high standards for himself are what make Sargent one of the best amateurs in men’s golf. While the golf gods didn’t quite give Sargent the birdies to claw back from his early troubles, his last 7 holes were played in even-par, with a birdie coming on the 18th hole to finish his day. It was a fantastic finish to his first round and is an indication of steady, solid golf to come for Sargent tomorrow.

A low round tomorrow is needed for Sargent to make the cut. However, there were flashes of greatness today which give many hope that the amateur can catch fire tomorrow. Similarly, now that the sophomore has a round under his belt, tomorrow should go even better. And let’s be honest, finishing any round at the Masters is an accomplishment already.

“Look forward to trying to play a good round [Friday] and hopefully make the weekend.” Sargent said. 

Sargent tees off at 8:06 A.M CT, playing with Jason Day and Zach Johnson.