Vanderbilt snaps five-match losing streak with victory over Missouri

The Commodores left hostile territory victorious after overpowering the Tigers in Columbia
Ophelia Lu
Bridget Stammel and Sonya Macavei converse briefly with their coach during set break, as photographed on Oct. 9, 2022. (Hustler Multimedia/Ophelia Lu)

The Vanderbilt Commodores (9-8, 3-5) picked up a much-needed victory over conference foe Missouri Tigers (10-10, 1-7) over the weekend on March 26. The Commodores entered Missouri’s Cooper Tennis Complex in the midst of a five-match skid, but were able to snap the streak and ultimately secure a 6-1 victory. 

The match began with the doubles round. The Commodores fell behind early as Holly Staff and Amy Stevens lost their match by a score of 6-1. From there, however, the Commodores took control. Marcella Cruz and Celia-Belle Mohr continued their impressive seasons with quick victories, and Anessa Lee and Bridget Stammel followed suit. 

Feeling the momentum from their doubles victories, the Commodores continued to roll. Singles Nos. 1 through 5 all won, with four of the five doing so in straight sets. While Cruz — playing No. 6 singles — lost, it didn’t change the final result, as the Commodores won 6-1.

Singles

No. 46 Celia-Belle Mohr (Vanderbilt) def. No. 75 Mae Canete (Missouri) 6-1, 6-1

No. 82 Bridget Stammel (Vanderbilt) def. Laura Masic (Missouri) 6-2, 6-2

Holly Staff (Vanderbilt) def. Emelie Schwarte (Missouri) 6-4, 6-2

Anessa Lee (Vanderbilt) def. Gabriela Martinez (Missouri) 6-2, 6-0

Amy Stevens (Vanderbilt) def. Inah Canete (Missouri) 7-5, 5-7, 1-0 (10-7)

Andrea Artimedi (Missoriu) def. Marcella Cruz (Vanderbilt) 6-4, 6-2

Doubles

Canete/Canete (Missouri) def. Staff/Stevens (Vanderbilt) 6-1

No. 58 Cruz/Mohr (Vanderbilt) def. Artimedi/Schwarte (Missouri) 6-3

Lee/Stammel (Vanderbilt) def. Martinez/Masic (Missouri) 6-2

Up Next

The Commodores will have a busy week ahead of them as the prepare to take on both Bellarmine and Alabama in Nashville on Friday, March 31.