Plan your week: 3/6-3/12

Take a look at what the Vanderbilt and Nashville communities have to offer this week.
Laura Vaughan
A class moves outside for lecture on Central Library Lawn, as captured on Nov. 4, 2022. (Hustler Multimedia/Laura Vaughan)

It’s the week before Spring Break and we’re busier than ever. But that doesn’t mean we can’t take some time to get away from our studies. Read on to see what events you’ll want to add to your calendar this week. 

Educational 

Feed that hungry Vanderbilt brain of yours with these thought-provoking events.

What: Palestine in the Media: Analyzing Bias in the News

When: March 6, 6 p.m. CST

Where: Multicultural Community Space Ballroom

Who: Dores in Solidarity with Palestine, Hidden Dores

Why: Join Dores in Solidarity with Palestine and Hidden Dores to learn about how Palestine is portrayed in the media by examining how language is used in various headlines in regard to political stories. 

What: Guest Speaker Abby Rubenfeld 

When: March 7, 6 p.m. CST

Where: Calhoun 109

Who: Vanderbilt Undergraduate Moot Court Board

Why: Named “Nashvillian of the year” in 2015, Abby Rubenfeld is a champion of civil rights, LGBTQ+ rights and family law. She has worked with the Human Rights Campaign, Tennessee Equality Project, ACLU and National Center for Lesbian Rights for the past 40 years, and has also served as an adjunct professor at Vanderbilt Law School for seven years. Rubenfeld represented Tennessee’s plaintiffs in the 2015 landmark case Obergefell v. Hodges and remains active in the Tennessee legal community through her own legal practice. Additionally, Rubenfeld represented former Vanderbilt employee Olivia Hill in a discrimination lawsuit against the university. She will be on campus to speak and host a Q&A session. This event is eligible for GME credit. 

What: Dialogue Dinner

When: March 6, 6 p.m. CST

Where: Center for Spiritual and Religious Life

Who: Vanderbilt Interfaith Council

Why: Join the Interfaith Council to discuss topics of diverse spiritual beliefs over dinner. 

What: Commons Field Trip: Votes for Women Room

When: March 6, 4:30 p.m. CST

Where: Dean’s Residence 

Who: The Ingram Commons, Margaret Cuninggim Women’s Center 

Why: Celebrate Women’s History Month and take a field trip with Dean Gresalfi to the downtown Nashville Public Library and see the permanent exhibit “Votes for Women Room.” Created to mark the 100th anniversary of the ratification of the Nineteenth Amendment to the Constitution, this exhibit explores topics surrounding democracy, political movements, and women’s role in society.

Recreational and Wellness 

Move your body and mind to relax during midterm season. 

What: Yoga Class

When: March 8, 5:15 p.m. CST

Where: Center for Student Wellbeing 

Who: VUSM Student Wellness Committee 

Why: VUSM student Thao Le will be leading a yoga class — the perfect way to unwind built up stress from midterm studying. 

Athletics 

Enjoy the spring weather and come cheer on your fellow Commodores. 

What: Vanderbilt Women’s Lacrosse vs. Penn State 

When: March 8, 1 p.m. CST

Where: Vanderbilt Lacrosse Complex 

Who: Vanderbilt Women’s Lacrosse 

Why: The women’s lacrosse team will be celebrating Women’s History Month as well as student and staff appreciation at their game against the Nittany Lions.  

What: Women’s Tennis vs. Tennessee 

When: March 10, 3 p.m. CST

Where: Curry Tennis Center Complex 

Who: Vanderbilt Women’s Tennis 

Why: Women’s tennis will look for a win in their matchup against SEC rival Tennessee. 

What: Vanderbilt Baseball vs. Loyola Marymount 

When: March 10, 4:30 p.m. CST; March 11, 2 p.m. CST; March 12, 1 p.m. CST 

Where: Hawkins Field 

Who: Vanderbilt Baseball

Why: Kick off Spring Break by supporting the VandyBoys in their weekend series against Loyola Marymount. 

Social

Take a study break and have some fun with these campus events. 

What: Trivia Night: Safe Spring Break

When: March 8, 6 p.m. CST

Where: Center for Student Wellbeing 

Who: Center for Student Wellbeing 

Why: Gear up for Spring Break and join the Center for Student Wellbeing to show off your trivia skills. 

What: 2023 Delta Man of DSTinction Pageant

When: March 8, 7:15 p.m. CST

Where: Sarratt Cinema 

Who: Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.

Why: Delta Sigma Theta will host their annual community service and fundraising pageant with this year’s focus being housing disparities. Candidates develop a platform on proposed solutions to combat housing inequities in Nashville and beyond. Candidates also will be fundraising for the Pamela McDaniels Scholarship, which provides money to local high school seniors. This event is eligible for GME credit. 

What: Scoring Points with Coach Nelson

When: March 7, 12:30 p.m. CST

Where: Rothschild Conference Room

Who: Rothschild College 

Why: Volleyball head coach Anders Nelson will join Rothschild head of house Professor Ravindra Duddu to discuss what it takes to launch a new varsity sport over lunch. 

Around Nashville 

Need a break from campus? Check out these local events all around town. 

What: Let’s Learn Hindi Nashville 

When: March 11, 11 a.m. CST

Where: On Zoom 

Who: Hindi language coach Pooja Chandna

Why: Want to learn a new language? Hindi language coach Pooja Chandna will host a Hindi class where you can learn listening, speaking, reading and writing skills. 

What: Die Another Day Board Game Night

When: March 7, 7 p.m. CST

Where: Acme Feed & Seed 

Who: Acme Feed & Seed 

Why: From Settlers of Catan to Dungeons and Dragons, head down to Acme Feed & Seed on Broadway for a fun night of board games. 

What: Marvel Trivia Night 

When: March 6, 6:30 p.m. CST

Where: Assembly Food Hall

Who: Assembly Food Hall

Why: Calling all Marvel fans! Form a trivia team and show off our MCU knowledge at Assembly Food Hall. The top three teams will win “Hall Passes,” or gift cards to use at any restaurant in the food hall. Additionally, there is a costume contest with a $50 Hall pass as the prize.