Men’s Tennis breaks even as a pair of Tigers visit the 615

Vanderbilt Men’s Tennis fell short against Princeton but rebounded with a convincing win over Tennessee State.
Narenkumar Thirmiya
Vanderbilt faces off in a doubles match, as photographed on Feb. 4, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Narenkumar Thirmiya)

The Vanderbilt Men’s Tennis team went 1-1 in its home doubleheader this weekend, losing to Princeton 4-2 and beating Tennessee State 6-0. The team did not drop a doubles match all weekend.

The Commodores started hot against Princeton, with the young doubles tandem of sophomore Michael Ross and freshman Nathan Cox securing a 6-3 win inNo.2  doubles. Seniors Joubert Klopper and Macsen Sisam found success as well with a 6-4 win at No. 3 doubles to secure the team another? doubles point. 

Ross continued his momentum onto the singles court, taking down Princeton freshman Sebastian Sec in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4, at No. 3 singles. Unfortunately for the Commodores, that would be their last win of the day. Klopper lost convincingly on court one, 6-1,6-4, to knot up the match at one apiece after the doubles point. Cox dropped a tight match on court two to again even up the match.

Vanderbilt looked good regardless, as junior Jeremie Casabon and senior Siim Troost were both up a set on their respective No. 4 singles and No. 5 singles courts. Things took a turn for the worse, however, and, both dropped their following two sets, and Troost’s loss clinched the match for the Tigers. Fifth-year senior Marcus Ferriera had just won the first set on court six, but the match was called before he could finish. If Troost or Casabon had pulled out either of their respective matches, the Commodores could have been in prime position to steal the match 4-3.

The next morning, the Commodores bounced back in a big way, sweeping cross-town rival Tennessee State, 6-0. Freshman Paul Wang got his first action of the weekend, partnering up with Troost to win 6-2 at No. 2 doubles. The Commodores then clinched the doubles point with another 6-2 win, courtesy of Klopper and Sisam.

The domination didn’t stop there as Vanderbilt ran through the (Tennessee State) Tigers on the singles courts, not dropping a set all day. Klopper won at No. 1 singles, 6-0, 7-6, Cox won at No. 2 singles, 6-3, 6-2, andTroost dominated at No. 4 singles, 6-0, 6-4. Ferriera and Ross captured victories in straight sets and finished their weekends undefeated.  Macsen Sisam won his first set 6-1 before the match was called.

It was a solid weekend for the Commodores, and they will look to use some of the momentum they gained after the Tennessee State match into a Feb. 12 matchup at home against Rice.