February’s concert cheat sheet

From electropop to opera, Music City has something for everyone this month.
Lexie Perez
Graphic depicting several music-related items with the words “February concert cheat sheet.” (Hustler Multimedia/Lexie Perez)

In February, artists of all backgrounds and styles are coming to Nashville venues big and small, from places as far as Italy and as close as Franklin. This February concert cheat sheet will save you time from scrolling through hundreds of live performance listings.

Destroy Lonely, Feb. 1

For Destroy Lonely, music — specifically rap — is a family legacy. His father is known in the music world as I-20, and since age 14, Destroy Lonely has been making music of his own. His latest album, “NO STYLIST,” was a hit, reaching No. 21 on the Billboard 200 in late 2022. Catch him at the Marathon Music Works for an energy-filled night with a hype-music soundtrack.

Noah Kahan, Feb. 2

For my fellow Northerners, Vermont native Noah Kahan’s stop at the Ryman Auditorium will make you nostalgic for memories of home in the very best way. His album, “Stick Season,” perfectly captures the feeling of growing up and experiencing ups and downs along the way, evoking appreciation for both the past and the present. In the bleak, gloomy days of February and midterm season, Kahan and his wistful tunes provide just the right conditions to take you back to the comfort of a hometown autumn, whether you’re a Northeast native or not.

Suki Waterhouse, Feb. 4

The multi-talented Suki Waterhouse has a unique professional skill set as an actress, model and singer. With each song, she reflects on her personal life, laying it all on the table for the public to listen and relate to. For Waterhouse, vulnerability and honesty are key, and the intimacy of The Basement East makes it the ideal venue for her to interact with her listeners.

Tove Lo, Feb. 6

Tove Lo’s 2014 release “Habits (Stay High)” is one of those childhood radio hits that will always be catchy and familiar. Her most recent release, however, is an electropop album entitled “Dirt Femme,” her first as an independent artist away from a major record label. It gained popularity for its bold and sometimes brutal honesty, inspiring a confidence in listeners that is surely even more palpable at her performances. Be prepared for her to set the room on fire in the Ryman Auditorium on her “Dirt Femme” tour.

Paramore, Feb. 6

Rock band Paramore returns home to Nashville for the next stop on their tour, taking on the Grand Ole Opry. The band recently released three new songs on Jan. 12, adding to their older discography with hits like “Still Into You.” Their next album, “This Is Why,” is set to be released on Feb. 10, and they’ll grace their hometown with a special one-night-only release show at their Feb. 6 performance.

Andrea Bocelli, Feb. 9

“The World’s Most Beloved Tenor” is coming all the way from Italy to give us a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to hear him perform at Bridgestone Arena with the Nashville Symphony. Bocelli is arguably the most recognizable voice of opera and Italian operatic pop. With an unmatched level of emotion, Bocelli’s unique voice allows him to transcend not only the boundaries between classical and pop genres but also the invisible boundary between artist and audience at a concert.

Stephen Sanchez, Feb. 11

Stephen Sanchez certainly knows how to tap into his listeners’ emotions with his music. Though he only began releasing music on Spotify a few years ago, his 2021 single “Until I Found You” peaked at a No. 1 10 ranking in world singles. The song has been used for so many weddings and proposals that 20-year-old Sanchez once said it “isn’t [his] anymore.” Hearing his heartfelt, acoustic songs live at the Brooklyn Bowl is sure to make you fall in love with concerts like a true Nashvillian.

Fitz and The Tantrums, Feb. 14

From the creators of hits like “HandClap” and “Out of My League” came another album in late 2022 called “Let Yourself Free.” Fitz and The Tantrums concerts have been historically characterized by high energy and “electric” participation from the crowd, and chances are, this one will be no different. Their upbeat indie pop songs have a steady beat that makes it easy to dance and jump along, making for a good time whether you know the lyrics or not. Bring a Valentine’s Day date, take your best friends or attend on your own and feel the love at Brooklyn Bowl on the “Let Yourself Free” tour.

Adam Sandler, Feb. 17

Even though a comedy show might not be what you’d expect to find on a concert cheat sheet, it’s a worthwhile form of entertainment nonetheless. After all, laughter is the best medicine, so what better way to spend a Friday night than at a classic Adam Sandler stand-up comedy show at Bridgestone Arena?

Claire Rosinkranz, Feb. 18

Even though she’s only 19, Claire Rosinkranz’s claim to fame was two years ago, when her single “Backyard Boy” hit the internet in early 2020. Since then, she has released an album and several singles. Her show at The Basement East on her first solo tour is the perfect opportunity to get inspired by and connect with a young, up-and-coming indie artist.

Nashville Symphony’s “An American in Paris,” Feb. 23–25

The already-fantastic 2023 season of the Nashville Symphony program gets even better with George Gershwin’s legendary “An American in Paris.” The piece is a product of Gershwin’s masterful combination of jazz and classical influences depicting his time in Paris and is also featured in a 1951 film of the same name. Even if you’re not usually the symphony-concert type, “An American in Paris” is one of those works that audiences enjoy regardless of classical music background. Heading downtown to Schermerhorn Symphony Center to let conductor Giancarlo Guerrero guide you through the playful quirks of “An American in Paris” is a decision you certainly won’t regret.