2023 College Football Playoff roundtable

Can Georgia go back-to-back? Why are there so many Michigan homers amongst the Hustler Sports staff?
Vanderbilt and Georgia at the coin toss on August 31, 2019 (Vanderbilt Athletics).

This year’s edition of the College Football Playoff is nearly here as No. 1 Georgia, No. 2 Michigan, No. 3 TCU and No. 4 Ohio State will duke it out on Saturday, Dec. 31 for a chance to play in the National Championship on Monday, Jan. 9. 

Georgia will look to repeat as champions and become the first program to do so in the College Football Playoff era. In their way stand a pair of Big Ten foes in Michigan and Ohio State. TCU is also crashing the party for its playoff appearance after an undefeated regular season. 

As per annual tradition, The Hustler Sports staff will attempt to flex their knowledge ahead of the penultimate games of the college football season and predict the CFP outcomes. Here’s who the staff picked ahead of Saturday’s matchups: 

Bryce Smith, Sports Editor

Once again, I am the outlier with my CFP prediction picks. Once again, I will probably be wrong. Nonetheless, I like how CJ Stroud and the Buckeyes match up with Georgia, and I think they are one of the few teams in the country with the talent to actually beat the Bulldogs. In the other semifinal, I think Michigan’s well-oiled machine will run over TCU to set up an epic showdown in the National Championship between the two most storied rivals in college football history. I don’t think Ohio State is losing to their bitter rivals twice in a row, but I could certainly be wrong. 

Peach Bowl: No. 4 Ohio State over No. 1 Georgia

Fiesta Bowl: No. 2 Michigan over No. 3 TCU

National Championship: No. 4 Ohio State over No. 2 Michigan

Anish Mago, Deputy Sports Editor 

Despite all the magic that Max Duggan has created this season, I don’t think the Horned Frogs will be able to overcome a far superior Michigan roster. I expect a similar story to play out in the Peach Bowl, where Georgia’s stifling defense will be able to limit explosive plays from CJ Stroud and the Buckeyes’ offense. In a rematch of last year’s Orange Bowl, I see Georgia taking care of business again, allowing Stetson Bennett (!) to lift his second National Championship trophy in as many years. 

Peach Bowl: No. 1 Georgia over No. 4 Ohio State

National Championship: No. 1 Georgia over No. 2 Michigan

Brandon Karp, Lead Sports Analyst 

With an extra month of practice, a talented OSU squad should give Georgia a run for its money, but I trust the reigning champs to take care of business. It’s tough to pick against a Georgia squad that’s won 27 of their last 28 games to repeat as champions, but there’s a reason no team has ever won back-to-back. Michigan, which should handle TCU with ease, has the right formula to stop Georgia if anyone can: a stellar defense and an unstoppable run game (even without Blake Corum).

Frankie Sheehy, Senior Staff Writer 

I don’t love being Mr. Chalk, but I really can’t deviate from this outcome without being dishonest. Ohio State got beat by the team up north at home, and TCU isn’t even a conference champion. I think the National Championship is going to be a good game, and I’d love to back Jim Harbaugh, but my heart’s not in it.

Bobby Kent, Senior Staff Writer 

I find it hard to bet against the Bulldogs this season given the strength of their defense and Stetson Bennett’s experience running the offense. Give me Georgia as back-to-back champs.

Andrew Wilf, Deputy Sports Editor

Although the entire nation would be enamored with a Michigan-Ohio State rematch, I believe that Georgia and TCU will expunge that possibility. In the Peach Bowl, I predict Stetson Bennett and the Georgia offense to take advantage of the same Ohio State defense that allowed 530 yards to Michigan just over one month ago. In the Fiesta Bowl, I predict Max Duggan to outplay Michigan’s JJ McCarthy and lead the TCU Horned Frogs to the National Championship.

I don’t think that TCU’s hope to win their first National Title since 1938 will come to fruition, though. The Bulldogs will rely on their stout play from their defense and rushing attack to win their second consecutive National Championship. 

Fiesta Bowl: No. 3 TCU over No. 2 Michigan

National Championship: No. 1 Georgia over No. 3 TCU

Sam Curtis, Sports Copy Editor

The Horned Frogs are coming off their first loss of the season. The overtime scuffle with Kansas State has shown TCU that it is far from unbeatable and must execute its game plan to a T if they are to beat this strong Wolverine side. I think they use their bounce-back momentum to top Michigan before losing to the eventual champions, the Georgia Bulldogs (who will have steamrolled a talented but inferior Ohio State squad to punch their CFP Championship ticket). 

Fiesta Bowl: No. 3 TCU No. 2 Michigan

Jayce Pollard, Staff Writer

Since the playoff’s inception, every year has featured a blowout semifinal matchup. Given Ohio State’s inability to score on above-average defenses (see its games against Notre Dame, Northwestern and Michigan), I expect CJ Stroud to put up career lows and lead his team to a rousing defeat. TCU has learned to deal with adversity—and has seemingly made a deal with the devil so that every opposing quarterback gets injured—so I’ll take TCU’s run defense to stifle a Blake-Corum-less Michigan and JJ McCarthy to exit the game in the second quarter.

As much as I dream of a Horned Frog title, I doubt the hypnotoad will be able to confuse Georgia and the worst Heisman finalist of the modern era. All hail Kirby Smart. The king in Tuscaloosa is dead.

Aiden Rutman, Sports Podcast Producer

After getting embarrassed at home by Michigan, I can’t see Ohio State beating Georgia. And, let’s be real: Alabama should’ve gotten the nod over TCU, so give me Michigan in a blowout win. Now comes the upset; as a lifelong fan, I’m making an emotional—albeit slightly illogical—pick, and riding with the Wolverines.  

National Championship: No. 2 Michigan over No. 1 Georgia

Jesse Goldman, Staff Writer 

It feels like Michigan’s year. Georgia has shown some serious vulnerability. Michigan has at times too, but the team simply has a more talented roster than previous ones. A little game theory here: I think Michigan easily handles TCU while Ohio State could put up a fight against Georgia. Therefore, when picking a champion, I’m going with the semi-finalist in which I have the most confidence to win its first game.