Men’s Golf: Commodores tee off the season with a win at the Frederica Cup

Vanderbilt men’s golf continued their hot play from the spring and started off the fall season with a team and individual first-place finish.
Gordon+Sargent+competes+at+the+Frederica+Cup+on+September+7%2C+2022+%28Vanderbilt+Athletics%29.+
Gordon Sargent competes at the Frederica Cup on September 7, 2022 (Vanderbilt Athletics).

The Vanderbilt men’s golf team continued their hot play from the spring season and opened up the fall with a win at the Frederica Cup. The eight-team tournament was played from Sept. 7-8 at the 72-par, 7,217-yard Frederica Golf Club course on St. Simon’s Island, South Carolina. 

The Commodores ended the first round in fifth place with a total of 349 strokes at 11 under par. However, they caught fire in the second and third rounds, finishing with totals of 325 and 337 strokes, at 35 and 23 under par, respectively. Vanderbilt and the second place Oklahoma Sooners were tied with three holes to play when a rain delay halted play. Ultimately, four birdies and eight pars on the last two holes by the Commodores—coupled with two bogeys from the Sooners—gave Vanderbilt the three shot win.

“It’s a new season. I know life makes you want to look backward and be proud of things that happened before, but all we’ve talked about is starting this team off on a new journey and trying to fight the good fight,” head coach Scott Limbaugh told Vanderbilt Athletics. “We knew it would take all six of us, the whole team. Just so proud.”

Senior William Moll was instrumental for the Commodores’ success, notching his first career individual victory. Moll began with a first round score of 64—good for best in the tournament—and continued his dominance with second and third round scores of 65 and 68, respectively, en route to a 19-under-par finish. The multi-tournament winner and junior teammate Cole Sherwood was just behind Moll for a second place overall finish. He had a tournament-best third round score of 64, clinching the victory for Vanderbilt.  

“Moll, from start to finish, came in in good form and carried that momentum for 54 holes,” Limbaugh said. “Just to watch him have the courage to finish it off, to hit big-time shots under pressure, was great to see.”

Reigning national champion and sophomore Gordon Sargent finished in seventh at 14 under par. Seniors Matthew Riedel and Reid Davenport placed 11th and 27th, respectively, while junior Jansen Preston tied for 32nd overall, rounding out the team.

“Super proud of Preston showing up today,” Limbaugh said. “Riedel, his last 36 holes, just played awesome. Sherwood just keeps making big-time plays in big-time moments.”

The Commodores will look to extend their hot start at the SEC Fall Preview. The tournament will be played at Old Overton Golf Club in Birmingham, Alabama, from Sept. 25-27. 

“I want us to enjoy this one,” Limbaugh said. “I know the scoreboard says we shot this—but we know we can improve, and there’s a bar that’s clearly been set at Vanderbilt, and it’s our job to stay above that bar.”