Fall colors on display at E. Bronson Ingram Studio Arts Center on November 16, 2021. (Hustler Multimedia/Hallie Williams)
Hallie Williams

IN PHOTOS: Fall Flourishes, Flu Follows

A walk through campus on November 15, 2021 provided insight into the changing of leaves and the onset of the flu.

As Thanksgiving has come and gone, winter weaves its way onto campus, but the flu is encroaching. Meetings have been moved online, Friendsgivings canceled, students on bedrest and more. A walk across campus reveals clear signs the flu has appeared. 

In preparation for the Nashville Rock N Roll half marathon, I found myself distancing myself from friends so that I did not fall to the same illnesses as many of my peers. With extra time on my hand, and the beautiful campus as a backdrop, I took my camera out and went for a stroll. 

Immediately I saw the effects of flu in conjunction with fall, and found my own actions reflected across campus. 

Many of my fellow sophomores are spending more time in Branscomb, using their Commodore Cash on Grubhub food and Zooming into classes or skipping them entirely.

Empty lobby of Branscomb juxtaposed against the Zeppos tower on Monday, November 15, 2021. (Hustler Multimedia/Hallie Williams)

One of the first things I noticed was the return of more distant interactions amongst friends and peers.

Students outside of Commons talk at a distance from each other on Monday, November 15, 2021. (Hustler Multimedia/Hallie Williams)

While walking around Peabody, I noticed many other students studying and walking around alone. I also noticed a trend of more masks around campus. Even outside, students seemed to frequent wearing masks more so this week than in the past few weeks.

Some of my friends told me there was two hour waits at Vanderbilt Student Health, while others, myself included, rushed to get flu shots in a last minute attempt to ward off infection.