VUPD assistant police chief arrested for driving and possessing a handgun under the influence

VUPD Assistant Police Chief Rick Burr was arrested in Clarksville, TN, on Sept. 28 and was released on the same day of his arrest.
VUPD cruiser, as photographed on Sept. 25, 2019. (Hustler Multimedia/Emily Gonçalves)

On Sept. 28, Rick Burr, VUPD assistant police chief, was arrested in Clarksville, TN, on charges of driving and possessing a handgun while under the influence. Burr joined VUPD in 2006 and was named assistant police chief in 2016.

Per WKRN, Burr violated Tennessee’s implied consent laws, which require those suspected of driving under the influence to submit to tests determining drug or alcohol content. He was also in violation of traffic light and open container laws, which prohibit the possession and consumption of an open container of alcohol while operating a motor vehicle. Burr was released on the same day of his arrest through Grumpy’s Bail Bonds for $7,500. 

In a message to The Hustler, VUPD said arrested Vanderbilt employees are usually placed on administrative leave during ongoing investigations. 

The university will take action based on the outcome of its investigation, as appropriate, to ensure that the campus is as safe as possible,” the email reads.

VUPD added that law violations committed by persons affiliated with Vanderbilt University Public Safety (VUPS) are reported to the Metropolitan Nashville Police Department’s Office of Professional Accountability.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.