Scotty Pippen Jr. declares for 2021 NBA Draft

Pippen Jr. announced on his Instagram and Twitter that he will retain his college eligibility as he enters the NBA Draft process.

Sophomore guard Scotty Pippen Jr. has declared for the 2021 NBA Draft, according to his social media accounts Saturday morning.

Pippen Jr. stated his intentions to declare for the NBA Draft, and he will retain his college eligibility by not signing with an agent as he initially goes through the process.

A newly adopted NCAA rule says that student-athletes may test the waters only to return to college, provided that they do not hire an agent. If Pippen Jr. were to hire an agent later in the process, he would forgo his remaining eligibility.

Pippen Jr. took a tremendous leap this past season under head coach Jerry Stackhouse. The Los Angeles, California product was named to the 2021 All-SEC First Team and set Vanderbilt’s single-season scoring record with 20.8 points per game this year.

He was second in the SEC with 4.9 assists and 1.77 steals per game, too.

Pippen, Jr., a three-star recruit with only one other Power Five offer made his impact known early in his Vanderbilt career. As a freshman he started 31 games at point guard and was named to the 2020 SEC All-Freshman Team.